Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Netman

Who wants to plan my trip?

8 posts in this topic

I'm doing a camping trip the first week in June and I've narrowed it down to three lakes; Snowbank, Big (on the Echo trail), and Kabetogama. I know it's kind of early but hey, what else do we have to do these days?

I'm looking for action (any species) and a couple of shore lunches of walleyes. No fish will be taken home.

I'm looking for advice on the campsiites on Big and Snowbank since I've never been there (boat landing concerns) and info on the fishing in Flash lake if Snowbank ends up being my final destination. I'll be bringing a 16 foot boat with a 25 horse and a canoe (if I end up at Snowbank).

Thanks Guys

I dont know much about camping on any of those lakes since ive never been on any of them, but i have heard that Big Lake has a lot of walleyes.

Big Lake has some free camping spots on it. They are run by the forest service and you need a boat to get to them, you can't reserve them and they will fill up. The two resorts on the lake also have camping. Lodge of Whispering Pines has a camping area and charges about $35 a night. Big Lake Wilderness Lodge has island camping and charges over $100 a night for a deluxe set-up. Both resorts rent boats canoes, etc...

hmm chaffmj has a point....Im goign to be fishing big alot this yr I Think becasue Im the new guy workign for big lake lodge. Ill be shuttling ppl around and seting up camps and what not...Looking at the lake maps for Big and its fairly shallow (max 20') and it has quite abit of structure and reefs topping out to 5 feet. Can anyone say cranks around dark?? grin.gifgrin.gif

You're not going to be reserving the Forest Service sites days in advance for your clients are you? You know, the old throw a tent up on one of the sites and leave it there for a few days until your client shows up...I hope not. We plan on coming up mid-week and I expect to have a fairly good shot at getting one of the four USFS sites.

Hmm. I dont know Im not sure how we run that yet. my boss just tells me what to do haha. I know they run the camps sometimes but I dont know If they do that before hand or If they set up camp on the day the clients come.

The island camping that is offered by the resort is on Spirit and Loon islands that are leased from the forest service and has nothing to do with the the 4 USFS camp sites.

Netman if you go up midweek you stand a real good chance of getting one of the camp sites. I will be up on Big Lake Memorial weekend and will post a fishing report if I make it out. The 1st week in June is usually one of the best weeks to fish.

Thanks for the info chaff it's good to here that the USFS sites are available to the general public. I've heard rumors about resorts on Kabetogama reserving sites for clients by setting up tents and leaving them there for days. That's just wrong!