Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bucktailsam

winona fishing

9 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! just wanted to see if anyone was getting any fish in the Winona area. I can just fish from shore now, so it is difficult to fish the river until the water goes down. Tried Bartlett, the Harley lake, and Lake Winona and nothing to show... just wanted to see if anyone else was having the same results

bartletts been really slow from what i here from everyone, if your in the mood for some walleye try the spillway on prairie island, nows a good time to catch some nice spawning eyes, ive caught some really nice ones in years past... be careful fishing lake winona and harley lake make sure your only going for panfish in those two lakes as they count as inland lakes and they are closed to gamefish until opener....

i'd second the prarie island spillway. it can get crowded but i've seen nice fish caught on top of the spillway as well.

the culvert by the barges will give up different speices when the river is high as well.

there is a spot that i recall in town near the east end of the levee that has some small rock jettys. those should hold sauger, walleye, and smallies right now.

WW might know the name or better directions, it's been a few years since i lived there. cool.gif

rock walls on the east side of levee..... could be anywhere, ive caught fish all over the levee both to the west and east of levee park... there are some nice smallmouth all year round by godfathers pizza though, theres even a spot just south of winona where theres a railroad bridge that ive caught some nice fish in all types of species any tim of year

i think it has a boat ramp and some floating docks?

the homer tressle was always good for me. got a 29" walleye my first time out there cool.gif

Hey thanks for the advice guys! what is homer tressle? and when people fish the river around here do they use live bait?

Are you talking about the rocks over near Peerless near the East End boat ramp? Years ago we used to fish for smallies on the rocks there.

yea, i think that is the place.

homer tressle is east or south of winona. it is a small train bridge with a small backwater area. you actually have to drive passed it and turn around on order to park.

one more spot i used to try is on that same road where a trout stream enters the river. i believe it is trout creek or trout run. it is right at the witoka road turnoff. big sand flat that can hold lots of bait, and gamefish. cool.gif

We tried the Homer Train Bridge and got nothing but broken line. Is this Wikota turn-off CTY RD 15? I think that is what you are talking about. Is it part of the Mississippi?