• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Transom Savers?

Dahitman44

Question

My owner's manual said I should buy a transom saver to put on my 175 suzuki and brace up against the 185 Trophy.

Question -- My dealer I bought it from said it is NOT necessary any more. He said it was a number of years ago, but is just a waste of money now.

Any thoughts?

24 answers to this question

I don't think they're a waste of money. Shortens the rig up while traveling, etc. And I don't entirely trust the brackets that flip up & down that are built onto the motor for these bigger hp motors. And I'm certainly not going to use the tilt/trim to support the motor while traveling or at rest.

A 175hp motor is a lot of weight and can put a lot of torque on a transom, if not supported properly. They're not that expensive when comparing it to a cracked or damaged transom. smirk.gif

My dealer said the same thing when I picked up my Tyee. "NO need for a transom save any more". He gave me a [Note from admin: read forum policy before posting again] rubber thing that slips over one of the trim pistons then you lower the motor back down on it. I'm still up in the air about getting a saver. I also have a power tilt kicker how does every body travel with their kickers up/down/ mid way?

I would do what the motor manual says to do. I usually see kickers in the down position.

There has been a lot of discussion on this in the past... do a search and you'll have more than enough to read.

I would say at the very least you should have some sort of support, whether it's the rubber type that slips on one of the pistons or one of the full fledged transom savers.

I like the full transom saver, but that's me.

marine_man

Ask your dealer if he will repair damage to your engine mount or hydraulic cylinders if his advice is WRONG!

Quote:

Ask your dealer if he will repair damage to your engine mount or hydraulic cylinders if his advice is WRONG!

I'm sure he would love to fix it...at Dahitman's expense.

My suggestion is to get a transom saver.

Quote:

My owner's manual said I should buy a transom saver to put on my 175 suzuki and brace up against the 185 Trophy.

?? Transom saver should go from motor to trailer, not against boat. Been using one since I bought boat in 98. I believe in them. I run my kicker down when trailering since there is plenty of room.

my guy said the same thing -- I wonder why the say it?

Which brand do you guys use? Stick with the motor to trailer ones? How do they hook up?

Quote:

Which brand do you guys use? Stick with the motor to trailer ones? How do they hook up?

I don't know the brand but my TS looks just like the Cabelas brand that has the slight bend to it. It mounts to a 90 degree plate that is bolted to the rear cross-member of my trailer. I went this route because I have a roller trailer. If you have a bunk trailer that has a rear roller guide you can get the type that hooks around that last roller.

FYI - my first TS was a square tube thing that I actually bent when I hit a sneaky speed bump in a parking lot ooo.gif The TS I have now is a round tube and much more heavy duty than the first.

I'd stick with the trailer to boat version.

I'm really surprised by your salesperson and they're lack of drive to "up sell" you. Usually if the customer wants something a salesman will sell it to you. You wanted a 3 bank charger and the salesman says 2 will do, you asked about at transom saver, he says don't worry about it...

I'm glad he's shooting you (in his opinion) the straight deal, but I'm still kind of surprised.

marine_man

I believe a transom saver is exactly that...it saves your transom. Every bump, etc, puts a ton of torque/pressure on that transom. Why not let the trailer take that weight via the transom saver? It can handle the weight of the motor whole lot more than a transom should have to.

To have or not to have{ a transom] Ihave seen 2 boats that thought they didnt need one untl after the fact. Trust me almost any size motor from what I have seen going down the road could use one. Bumps are hard on the big pot holes a night are even worse.

M and M --

Yeah the dealer haas been strange -- you would think he would try and sell me all he can?

So some of these guys say there's no need anymore. Look at it this way - it won't hurt anything to use it either. Personally I would always use one with a bigger motor. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Hemlock makes one point, however, every bump that the trailer takes is transfered to the lower unit as well. It seems to me that the suspension on the trailer is going to provide the best ride to the boat, and connecting a transom saver to the trailer defeats the purpose of the suspension. I don't know anyone, including me, that uses a transom saver and no one I know has had any problems.

Not trying to hijack the thread just wondering what others opinions are on the my wedge transom saver as opposed to the traditional trailer bracket model?

The dealer gave me a My-Wedge and I was skeptical about it, but the engine doesn't move a bit. If the engine doesn't move then that's the result you're trying to achive here and the My-Wedge seems to do that. Plus, with this you eliminate the shock that the trailer transfers to the engine through the typical transom saver.

Either way you go, it's probably a good idea to have some sort of load reducing device to keep the motor from bouncing. Not to mention if the hydraulics would fail while trailering and you have nothing at all for support, the motor would slam down on the concrete and that wouldn't be pretty.

I figure that if my boat is tied down to the trailer and the transom saver goes between my boat and the trailer it will keep the weight of a slightly tilted engine from acting like a lever on the transom. The suspension on the trailer still softens the ride of the boat on the trailer and the transom saver should keep the outboard from torquing the transom. It seems that the boat and everything above the suspension of the trailer should ride as one if the boat is tied down correctly. If a boat isn't tied down correctly and is bouncing on the bunks or rollers, I could see it becoming a problem. Just my .02 though. confused.gif

the only way a motor should be supported is to the boat.

Any time you put a device between the boat motor and trailer it becomes a wedge that is doing great damage to your transom.and motors mounts etc.

I doubt that any manufacurer is suggesting any boat motor to trailer set ups,however some are making bracket to hold lower unit to boat or motors own frame.

These are transom destroyers in my eyes,have repaiered several boats for people using them.

Mounts on these motors are built to take weight of road bumps which are small bumps compared to taking waves/

Quote:

These are transom destroyers in my eyes,have repaiered several boats for people using them.

I seriously doubt you repaired any boat damaged by transom savers.

To give you an example, do this in your shop: trim any motor up approx 2ft/3ft from ground, put your hand on propeller hub and push down the direction of motor pivoting, do it continuously and follow the movement of motor.

If you want to make it even better lift motor 1/2 way up and do same thing. Let us know what happens.

If I just returned from delivering a boat to Washington and the motor didnt drop or raise would that be better than standing in my shop pushing on hub?

there is a manual motor lock bar on every brand of motor built to be used when motor is up 2 to 3 feet ,however on some 4 strokes even thou factory that built boats isnt warning us on potential problems from over tilt.

Several manufacturers have disregarded transom savers for years.

Your boat is not an affixed part of trailer,by simply putting a 3 foot long bar,usually some pretty cheap built stuffed between a boat consantly moving on a trailer ,especially roller trailers you are constantly moving the motor against the trailer.

But some people like the transom saver,yes I have fixed several boats with or without them,when damage has occured ,most guys tell me that next to large wave running that they used a transom saver.

Even had a guys insurance claim thrown out because he mentioned using one when severe stress cracks showed up on his one year old Yar Craft,cracks showed up externally but none inside on transom,evidence that this device pushed motor towards boat.You have to really tighten the rear straps on boat to trailer to keep it from moving,than you will also note after a trip short or long that their is some movement.Second reason they thru out his claim was from factory,they recomend bunk trailers and he had switched to a very nice roller trailer.

For some its apples others oranges,my standpoint is if you are going to use a transom saver,get one that supports to the boat not the trailer,these mount off bolts used to mount your motor to transom,the bottom ones.Very easy installation.

Next to life jackets and seats the most seen item flying off a boat going down the highway is a former transom saver and a couple of bungy cords that were supposed to save things.

Camdu 7 these devices are good ,see them on 100% of Bass Boats down south.