Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Bobby Bass

Drag or Back reel?

Bobby Bass    70
Bobby Bass

Drag or back reel? With the advancements in drags the past 10 to 15 years how many of you still or have some of you ever back reeled? Do you always just go with using your reels drag?

Doop    0
Doop

I have backreeled many a northern in on 4lb test. I have a hard time believing I would have landed these fish on a drag system.

Backreel till the cows come home!

Tofishem    2
Tofishem

Back Reel....Take the lock off right away and have landed many-a big fish back reeling. It's just habit for me. I've seen to many fish lost on a drag!

youngie22    0
youngie22

I am not a expert here.. But I can't beleive that I can out preform my shimano drag system by back reeling. I have only used the back reel few times for snags rather than opening the bail. I do own a few reels w/ a dual drag system w/ a lever that loosens and tightens the drag during the fight of a fish. I realy like that feature when it is needed.

stmichael    0
stmichael

I have always counted on my drag, I also have caught 26" Walleyes through the ice on 4 lb. test. and also 4 lb. test using the ultralight in the boat catching 19" inchers. I have tried to back reel, but, I could never get it to work right.

nofishfisherman    10
nofishfisherman

This exact topic was discussed in depth a while back. If you do a search I am sure you can find it.

Seemed most people had faith in their drag systems.

eyepatrol    0
eyepatrol

Drag

Tofishem    2
Tofishem

Ford or Chevy.. Preference.

Dan Thiem    0
Dan Thiem

My luck with using the back reel technique usually ends up with a messy birds nest. So ya the reels drag and the rod flex for me too.

GlassEyeangler    0
GlassEyeangler

Quote:

Johnson or Mercury?

riverrat56    0
riverrat56

Drag, pulled a 13lb northern in on 4 lb line using drag. Also many big carp on walleye gear.

And it just sounds better.

Ralph Wiggum    0
Ralph Wiggum

Drag!!!

Plus, I prefer baitcasters in most situations...can't backreel one of them.

Deitz Dittrich    4
Deitz Dittrich

For me it really depends on what I am fishing for, and what I have for gear.. and what I have on the end of my line?

I do fish with baitcasters quite a bit, and none of them have back reel, so drag! But I also fish with a lot of spinning gear, and if I just have a large fish of what I am after, then I will usually just trust the drag. But if I am fishing a jigworm for bass, and hook a muskie, then I will usually do a little backreel action. So, if I know I am undermatched I will help the drag out... but otherwise... trust the drag.

Tofishem    2
Tofishem

Ok, no duh? Baitcasters definitely!

I assumed we were discussing spinning rods! I have NO problem putting my hand below the spool to control the unspooling.

slipperybob    0
slipperybob

Depends on the kind of fish. Something that has nice steady pull for long time, I'd back drag it. I don't like line twists. Something that quickly bursts into speed for short distances, I'd allow drag. I don't want a bird's nest either.

Then again I could almost as easily reach over and loosen the drag and then tighten it back up...

CrappieAttitude    0
CrappieAttitude

Drag....

I remember the first time I saw someone back reel and it looked like he was jerking the reel and I thought he looked totally awkward. He did land the fish and I remember looking at him dumbfounded and asking him "doesn't your drag work?"

I personally don't think there is a better sound than the "zing of the drag"

But thats just me!

CA

311Hemi    0
311Hemi

The last 3 reels I have purchased have been the Shimano spinning reals with the rear "fighting drag" lever. I use this quite often. I usually have it set on high to set the hook and then will back it off right away.

I have never back reeled.....or even understood why my reel even did that until now! shocked.gif

BobT    104
BobT

Sounds like I'm in a bit of a minority but, my name is Bob and I'm a backreeler. I think backreeling is something of an art that takes practice and patience. It took a while for me to get comfortable with it but there have been times when I believe I would have lost fish were it not for backreeling. One time I was using a spinning reel with the drag adjustment on the spool. I got into it with a really nice northern and every time he peeled line off my drag, the turning of the spool also turned the nut causing it to increase drag tension. Of course this was happening without my knowledge and eventually the line gave way. Had I been backreeling, I would have had a better chance at landing him or more likely her. I still set my drag to about 35% - 50% of line strength so I have the drag as a backup to my backreeling.

My baitcaster reels also have the ability to backreel.

Bob

Dark Cloud    0
Dark Cloud

I let the drag do most of the work but still click it over to backreel when I hook something better. If they make a big run at the boat,shore, or hole I can backreel a tad.

there is definatly an art to it that some perfected before drags became what they are today...

PerchJerker    0
PerchJerker

For big fish I backreel. If they're on casting gear (baitcasters or linecounters), I'll release the spool and thumb the spool if the fish is close to the boat and I think it's going to run.

A drag only has to fail one time, or you only have to have one nick or weak spot in your line, to wish you would have backreeled. Backreeling is 2nd nature for me now, I don't even realize that I'm doing it.

The thread that discussed this is in the Walleye forum.

slotlimit    0
slotlimit

It only takes one time where you are using the back reel method and you forget to flip the switch while you are reaching for the net. A couple of buddies and i where fishing in my boat and another buddy was in his boat and he had a nice eye on. Needless to say when he was reaching for the net he forgot to flip the switch and the fish was gone. I think he threw his back reeling ideas in the garbage. But we will never let him forget! smirk.gif

Bobby Bass    70
Bobby Bass

Quote:

The thread that discussed this is in the Walleye forum.

Well that's why I didn't see it!! You don't think Bobby Bass reads the walleye forum! I don't back reel, I will feather the spool with my hand or on a baitcaster I will burn the thumb from time to time. If I am flipping docks I will set the hook then free spool and use my thumb, Have lost a few nice fish really close in when forgetting and just have the drag on. Thanks for all the answers so far guys..

Orlip    3
Orlip

Quote:

Quote:

Johnson or Mercury?

Marcum or Vexlar?

Cliff Wagenbach    807
Cliff Wagenbach

Drag!

I never could figure out why anyone would back reel if they had a decent reel with a good drag system that was set right for the line you had spooled. confused.gif

I did have a spinning reel once that had a poor drag that would get tighter as a fish pulled out line. Filed that reel at the local dump! grin.gif

Cliff

slipperybob    0
slipperybob

Quote:

It only takes one time where you are using the back reel method and you forget to flip the switch while you are reaching for the net. A couple of buddies and i where fishing in my boat and another buddy was in his boat and he had a nice eye on. Needless to say when he was reaching for the net he forgot to flip the switch and the fish was gone. I think he threw his back reeling ideas in the garbage. But we will never let him forget!
smirk.gif

Oh that's classic! But that's not as funny as someone else I witnessed. They'd got their drag set so low that line spools out at the same time it's being reeled in. Now I don't know how many times a person can do that, but I was expecting line twist on the cast. Well sure enough, after the third fish and line, the next cast went "boing!" and hook and sinker went flying and there's a big mess in the rod guides. LOL's

What a lot of people forget is that while back spinning you can just touch the bail and it'll stop. While using a very loose drag, you can just touch the spool to increase your resistance and stop it too. Touching the bail is easier, but like the classic above, if you're not proficient and forget...LOL's the fish has just out-smarted you.