Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dan Thiem

Good idea!

7 posts in this topic

I had trouble with my doors on the topper closing on me because of the weak gas struts. I tried the vise grip thing but eventually it ended up missing. Didn't want to keep buying them. And I know better than to use a sawed off hockey stick or broom handle because sooner or later it'll fall out and then the lid's gonna smack ya on the melon. Been there before. blush.gif

So here's my million dollar idea. I took a piece of 5/16" fuel hose and cut off a piece the same length of the silver or chrome part of the shock when it was fully opened. Then I slit the hose length wise down one side. Now all I gotta do is push the slot of the rubber hose over the chrome part of the strut when it's extended and open. That way the black part can't slide down because the rubber hose blocks it.

proprodla9.jpg

helluv an idea Dan, but what you gonna do when it warms up and the rubber gets as soft as you know what? I'd just go to a parts store and get some new shocks. It'll save you a lot of headaches. tongue.gif

New idea. Plastic conduit. Or plastic pipe. I know tight wad.

Sometimes you can get away with putting a hose clamp on the black part where it in dents. Tighten it up and it may hold.

If you go to a parts store that has one of those Help displays with the cheap generic replacements for sunvisor clips, door handles, and such, you can find a small slider that will lock open your hood or liftgate struts just like the ones you find on a screen door. Cost is about 2 bucks and they stay on the strut even when closed.

I attach a short bungee (with hooks) to the ladder rack on top of my shell, then hook it on the shell's door handle when it's raised. . .works well for me!

I would use a small set of Vice Grips. It does not have to be tight to hold.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• eyeguy 54
      lit'l hustlers under a bobber work pretty sweet.  
    • eyeguy 54
    • CigarGuy
      Del,  it's on Cook, MN facebook....March 23.  Timberjay, you need a subscription to view entire story.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources will collect and analyze water samples from about 90 wells in Washington County this spring. The data are being collected for the Washington County Geologic Atlas, an effort involving the Minnesota Geological Survey and the DNR’s Ecological and Water Resources Division.  DNR staff will contact county residents to request permission for well sampling, which involves collecting a water sample and measuring the depth to water in each well. Tests will profile the general chemical characteristics of area groundwater and will also show approximately how long the water has been underground. Geology, location, well depth and well construction will determine the selection of wells for sampling. Owners of sampled wells will receive a report of the laboratory results for the water sample collected from their well. Preserving the long-term quality of the region’s surface water and groundwater requires that policymakers have access to accurate information based on sound scientific principles. A county geologic atlas is a valuable tool for county planners, resource managers and other local government staff when making general planning, land use management and water resource protection decisions. The Minnesota Geological Survey has already published Part A of the atlas, which illustrates details of each county’s geology. In 2019, the DNR will publish the groundwater portion of the atlas (Part B). The Part B reports will include maps and descriptions of the distribution and movement of groundwater, cross sections illustrating groundwater conditions, and the pollution sensitivity of aquifers in the county. The DNR County Geologic Atlas program is funded in part by the Minnesota Environment and Natural Resources Trust Fund as recommended by the Legislative-Citizen Commission on Minnesota Resources. Funding also comes from the Clean Water Fund, which receives 33 percent of the sales tax revenue from the Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment approved by voters in November 2008. A full description of this DNR program and status reports for atlas products is available on the DNR website. For information, contact: Jim Berg, DNR hydrogeologist, 651-259-5680, jim.a.berg@state.mn.us; or Paul Putzier, DNR county geologic atlas program supervisor, 651-259-5692, paul.putzier@state.mn.us. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • delcecchi
      I looked at cook, mn page didn't see the story.  both webpage   cookmn.com and the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/CookMn/ and the cook group   https://www.facebook.com/groups/396154887224760/ Not on Timberjay site either.     You can post a link by just copy/and paste the url from the bar in your browser into your post.