Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
osprey

coho ? anyone

10 posts in this topic

i will be down on the shore this coming week around the baptism . with water temps cold and levels low I was thinking coho. i have seen people catch them at the french. on looper stuff. but what i dont know is do they follow the steelhead and loopers or are they scattered along the shore. in other words what are my chances north of T.H. or should i forget the shore bring down my small lund and hope for good weather and try for lakers. I'm perplexed, help please

Cohos are fall-run spawners. That being said, they'll still be attracted to spring discharge from the rivers, and you stand a decent chance of catching some around the Baptism.

thanks steve!does the same go for cascade- brule(mn)-temperance, ect. see ya round .

should be spread out somewhat along the shore, you stand a chance getting a few anywhere from duluth to grand portage.

I'm planning on going up tomorrow and try for some loopers. However, I have yet to catch a single fish from the pond...this will be my third year trying. If I wanted to fish for loopers with a chance at a coho...what would you use...the worm on the bottom or a looper bug under a float?

Both! Try one on each rod.

Im no expert but im going up tommorow 2 and i will be using a looper bug under a float. Are all the river mouths pretty packed right now? I want to fish the Lester because i think the French would be too busy.

Upnorth is right. If you only have one rod, though, I'd recommend the crawler with a bit of air in it off the bottom. I had more coho on that rig than any other.

And you don't have to fish right up by the river mouth to get fish. They stage and wander a good ways up and down the shore near rivers before they enter to spawn.

I think i might just have to give it a try tomorrow too. The first time up this year the weather schould be great. I agree on the nightcrawler for coho i have had the best luck with them also.

I use half a crawler for the Coho though. They just nibble a big crawler down like ruffies or perch.