Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike L

Open water night bite?

6 posts in this topic

or is URL pretty much a day event like LOW?

i wouldn't think so...you don't really catch anything at night on LOW in the winter either but you sure do on Red.....the couple times i have been to red in the summer i have come off the lake towards dark and people have been going out.....but both times i have been out there was before walleyes could be kept.......

so what were the guys going out to catch?

I have never tried open water at night but I have heard the bite can be really good. Let us know how you do if you try it. Good luck.

crappies!!!! i would at least like to think they were going for the crappies since there were decent bites going on then.

I fished from Midnight on opening day till about 2pm the following day last year. It was pretty nice being out there all by myself, but it was a bit chilly. It was even snowing at one point during the night, the wind was light though so that was nice. Anyways, as far as the fishing goes, I would say it was just as good as the day bite. I didn't exactly slaughter 'em, but I could have had my two keeper walleye by 12:30am if I wanted too. Didn't catch any Crappies, but caught enough eye's to keep me busy. I used a slip bobber with a glow stick rubber banded to the top, but wish I had something a little brighter like an actual lighted bobber. I would definetly fish at night again up there, but may choose a warmer day next time.