• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

To make you feel alittle better about the posting. I was planning to head up there because we found some nice crappies this winter. After hearing how busy it is..now I might skip it and head somewhere else. But that's just me.

Ironman...That was exactly what we did today, we DIDN't go there because of the crowd.

Probably should have, went to another lake in the area and got a bunch of fairly nice sunfish in the 8-9 inch range....thing is, we were after crappies and wound up catching only 2 in the 1/2 pound range.

We just couldn't make it happen and we tried from one end of the small muddy lake to the other and all points in between....we threw everything in the tackle box at em for about 6 hours and called it a day.

Here we go again... The word gets out that someone caught a few decent fish somewhere and the next day a 100 people are out there. Word of mouth, the internet, whatever. To bad some people can't just keep it quiet.

Come on, Knife isn't the only lake in the state. The fishing there is only average, there are a lot of better lakes to fish. Knife isn't that big of lake and gets way to much pressure, overfished. For a 1200 some acre lake there are 300+ homes and cabins. It's right on a major highway, the access on 65 is huge with 2 ramps and parking for 30 or more rigs, not to mention a 2nd access on the south end.

I have fished it for many years. I will give out general information only on the lake if someone asks (ice thickness, etc.). You won't here it from me if the fish are biting or not. Wish others would do the same.

I live a mile from the south access and cannot believe the amount of pressure the lake is getting year after year! It's like there is no other lake in the state to catch panfish? I think the warden would have a hayday if he had the time to see how many repeat limit takers show up every other day!

The Sheriff has a house next door to my brothers cabin. Last year he told us their was a fight at the pier that he was called on. grin.gif LOL. Once the spring moves along and everyone stops going there it is a nice lake again. It is way over fished. The fishing is not as great as some people say. We have 2 cabins on the lake for 20+ years. The only thing I really hate about it is when the jetskiers come out! frown.gif

Regardless of these posts or not, Knife Lake will continue to recieve fishing pressure. HipHop said it best, the panfish bite is no secret. Personally, I don't like literally fighting for a fishing spot. It doesn't make fishing fun. I'm sure most feel the same so ya'll can avoid this lake.

Quote:

Regardless of these posts or not, Knife Lake will continue to recieve fishing pressure. HipHop said it best, the panfish bite is no secret. Personally, I don't like literally fighting for a fishing spot. It doesn't make fishing fun. I'm sure most feel the same so ya'll can avoid this lake.

Of course Knife lake will continue to recieve fishing pressure. With threads like this in here, like I have said in my previous post, do you have any idea how many people view these threads on here per day? Majority of the people dont care about fishing pressure as long as there are fish... You only think "HipHop said it best" because you are BIASED!

WELL - I just have to vent a little - long before Fishing Minnesota was ever around - before the old damm went out- you would be fishing shoulder to shoulder around the spill way, both sides of the downward side of the damm. People would carry a canoe or duck boat down the hill and park in the middle of the hole. As many if not more than there is now. A couple of old timers would be out in hip boots. The park on Hwy 65 would be packed in the evenings in the spring. This has been going on for 55+ years that I have fished Knife Lake and a lot more fish were taken back then than now. As far as city people fishing out Knife Lake, it ain't going to happen, we can only take back 10 crappies to the cities. Yes, you will have some that will risk there license privledges and a steep fine for the extra few fish. What you need to be more concerned about is the locals that take a limit home and back and forth three times. I personally witnessed that the other day at the old damm, one lady in a rusty old brown pickup made four trips for her husband and son who were fishing next to me. She was only gone about 10-15 minutes so I know she was a local.If I would of had a cell phone (which I hate with a purple passion)I'd of called TIPS. For us city people to do that it would cost a $20 dollar bill for gas and a three hour trip. So don't blame us city slickers for fishing out Knife Lake, it's not going to happen. Plus we are helping out your local buisnesses, just watch all the vehicles that stop at Sportsmans, Jerry's Bait and the Holiday gas station, I'd venture to say that 50% of their sales come from city slickers. Thank you and good fishing from a born and raised Mora native, wish I could move back up their (wife won't leave the cities).

Quote:

What you need to be more concerned about is the locals that take a limit home and back and forth three times.

I agree with you there. The worst are the locals and cabin owners on the lake. Not all(since I am one of the local owner/users)but many.It happens on every lake in MInnesota.

The dam didn't wash out but the road leading up to it did on the far side.

It used to be fun fishing from shore below the dam. Lots of good memories.

When the lake flooded and our cabin and cars had a foot of water in them was crazy! We had fish and minnows everywhere.

Then when it drained we scavenged tons of lures off stumps we never knew were there.

Alot more to come this year.

I was out there today and it was fun. The landings were crowded,but there were plenty of areas to fish that were boat free.

water temp in the bays was 62* in the afternoon. 56* in the morning and open water.

This is a fishing reports forum so i don't understand why so many people on this site get after people for posting fishing reports. Seems ridiculous to me. As far as the poaching, get license plates or whatever you can and call at your first opportunity. Maybe it won't lead to anything, but unless those taking over limits or multiple limits get bothered by other fisher persons or the DNR, they're not going to stop. i didn't get out on Knife at all this weekend, but was curious if the DNR was out there? i fished there most of the week and didn't see them once. thought it was a little odd, i usually get checked every spring up there.

As far as other lakes for a local report, Fish and Mud lakes are producing nice fish, with a little more sorting needed. Mimic minnow plastics have also been outfishing live bait for us is some locations so give the plastics a try if you're numbers are low, you might like the results... See you on the water.

Wavey Davey: Didn't seen you go by this weekend, but then I was busy most of the time with a remodeling project. Had to run into Oslin lumber on Saturday morning must have been 30 boats in the back bay, went back in three hours later and only 4 boats. I stayed as far away from the cluster you know what as possible.

As far as cabin owners killing the lake; I;m sure some do double and maybe triple dip. I happen to be CPR and my wife and I released over 700 fish into the lake last year. As far as the old lady in rusted pickup, I would have driven to town to turn her a** in. That is total BS. The State regs tell me I can keep 10 crappies, if I want to release 100's ok, but double dipping and over the limit ain't cuttin' with this guy. I hate cell phones as well but TIP is programmed and I have absolutley no reservations about using it. Have a good spring every body, great weather, sure nice by the fire last night watching the loons play games. Bill

I know this is a touchy subject, but people need to understand that no one owns the lake and it isn't any one persons resource to do with as they please. These lakes are resources for all of us and I have no problem stating I caught a few fish, on X lake in X amount of water. I truly feel many people on this site have their lakes they fish no matter what and try new lakes now and again reducing the affect that posting on here really has. Why are most people on this site??? For information and entertainment. If everyone quits posting about how they are doing and what they are using, a lot of people wouldn't use it. Does it suck that lakes get hit with tons of pressure and people take over their limits, absolutely. What can be done? Call TIP, remind anglers they are only allowed one limit in possesion and do your best to practice CPR if need be. The bottom line is people will share info, just like bait shops put reports in the paper. It is in their best interest to do so and their livelyhood depends on people stopping at their shops. If people choose to share info, they choose to do so and if they don't they don't. Do you really think if no one shared a report for Knife next spring, that the shorelines and accesses would be empty!! As far as blaming the "City Slickers", they drive the economy of a lot of small vacation/recreation communities. Sportsman enjoy blaming them for every overfished lake or crowded hunting area. They have as much right to the lake/area as anyone if it is public, so blaming them is ludicrous. Anyway, sorry to vent. Hopefully we can all work toward better fisheries and management without blaming everyone for it!