Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brunziej

Installing GPS/Sonar with internal GPS antenna

5 posts in this topic

I picked up a Lowrance 334c igps at the Sportsman show. In the manual it says to install it where there is an unobstructed view of the sky. Has anyone installed one of these on the console with a windshield? Will the glass between the unit and the sky cause me problems? Would I have been better off with an external antenna?

You won't have any trouble, I have installed the internal antenna models on flybridges with canvas enclosures with no problem. I and friends have Garmins on the dashboards of our pickups and use them as our speedometers with no trouble.

Yes

No

Maybe

I have a 334 on the console and it works fine. Plastic or glass doesn't block radio waves. Aluminum does. So if the windshield is in aluminum frame and you get too close, it might have bad effect.

I that that same unit and like everyone esle has said you wont have any problems.. mine sits right under my windsheld and i havent had any problems with mine. Make sure you do that updates and you will be fine.

I bought mine at the show too. I have to get a mounting bracket yet, which ones did you guys have with it? I have a small 14' boat and Id probably have it back by my tiller motor.