• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boat Necessities? 1st Time Buyer

Caleb

Question

I will be purchasing a used boat for the first time in Minnesota. I have looked over the DNR boating boat but it doesn't clearly state what I all need to do. Can I get some help on what I all need to do, regarding liscencing, Titles, Insurance. Just want to be legal before I hit the waters. Help appreciated.

6 answers to this question

I just went to Dept. of motor vech. Bought a old boat & trailor. One stop shop! Registration boat & trailor,changed names on both! I live outside the city no lines or waiting or traffic.

As for insurance? Does the trailor have its own insurance? any requirements? Boat insurance reguirements? Do i need insurance?

Insurance is not mandated, not a bad idea though. If you finance the boat then you will probably be forced to buy the insurance.

Other regulations are based on the size of the boat. Some of the items you need to check into are fire ext, horn, throwable PFD's, and don't forget the paddle. Also make sure you have the proper running and anchor lights.

As far as title, the boat most likely will not have a title, however the trailer will, so you will need to title a new one, or tranfer a used one.

Licensing, you need a sticker on the boat that is normally good for a few years. Trailers are also licensed and you can get a lifetime license if it doesn't currently have one or is expired.

You can get all of this taken care of at your local DMV.

If you purchase your used boat from a dealer they should take care of all the licensing, registration, etc. for you. If you buy the boat privately you will need the title for the boat (if there is one), title for the trailer, lein release for both. All of what must be signed by the previous owner(s). You will need to take all of this to the DMV to get it transferred into your name. You will need to pay taxes on the trailer but not the boat.

I had just previously bought a new (used) boat privately and I just finally got it all tranferred to my name after the 4th trip to the DMV. If you have all of the above you should be good to go. If you are not sure if the boat is titled or not and you know the registration number of the boat, you can call the DNR and they can let you know if the boat is titled. Good luck.

Thanks for the info! Answers my questions. Now all I have to do is get the DMV.

More a convenience thing than legal or safety: Make an extra set of boat keys to keep in your tow vehicle and a set of vehicle keys in your boat.