Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CrappieCatcher

Water Depth

3 posts in this topic

I've found the water levels around Anoka-Ramsey to be very shallow, deepest part I've found is around 8 feet near the 47 North Bridge. Any more areas deeper than that above the dam?

Man CC, you are determined to fish a river! You'll come to know smallies if you keep going to the Rum, but seriously!

If you truly want to catch big crappies now and not just float your boat ~ GO TO COON LAKE. They're not all huge but a number of years back (recent history) a guy pulled what I think was a new state record White Crappie from there. Well over 3 pounds.

I can still remember the 1/2 page photo in the paper with him wearing his Stratos boat hat. The water temp was about 50 degrees where he caught it.

Other than that, read last falls posts on the Rum thread where you started or if all else fails, experience will be your teacher.

There's deeper water than that. The main channel is 8-10ft out from the Rum confluence. Granted not all of the channel is that deep, but it's around that range. Also, it's deeper the closer you get to the Anoka dam. Above the 169 bridge there are some shallow spots and they are in the middle of the river. Up by the island it's really shallow, sometimes even I can't get up there. I have a jon boat with prop. Then it's time to bum a ride with someone that has a jet.

any who - with the high current now it's no problem to get around. It's in the summer when the water is low is when the lower units get ripped off or cracked in my case mad.gif