Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paul

Best Landing net?

14 posts in this topic

Ok so far we have covered GPS, Trolling Motors, Anchors, Chargers, rod holders, augers, fishing line and warm clothign. Now I need help, I need to get a new landing net. I hate the one I have becase hooks are allways getting stuck in it. I have been hearing about these new nets that are hook proof. What is your favorite Landing net.

Muskies: Frabill Big Game. Hook proof netting...easy on the lures and the fish. I also like the new handle locking system...very easy to deploy this monster with one hand. Its more of a floating livewell....

Walleyes and all others: Beckman. Hook proof net..again, easy on lures and fish. Mine has a telescopic handle...can really reach out from the dock..or boat.

we have one of those rubber nets. Like it for not getting hooks set into it. Hate how heavy it is. Hate that it aint as big as I wish it was sometimes. But when a northern does it's fatal last ditch efforts of spinning the whole net aint wrapped up in it. So it has some advantages disadvantages. If all I was fishing for was northerns and walleyes I would get another one. Bigger game NO WAY we found that out and my cus was bleeding from hand landing it.

the nice thing about the rubber net is that it doesn't remove the slimecoat on fish like northerns and trout, like traditional nylon nets. This is a big plus when releasing fish.

I have kind abeen looking at the Frabil net with the quick release handle. It seems rubberized but not all rubber. ANyone try this one yet?

I use that rubbery-coated (professional term) nylon and it works well. I don't know if it is good for the fish or not. Actually, we rarely land a Northern -- I don't like that stinky slime in the boat. wink.gifwink.gif

I knew a guy from hawley-wood that said, he would cut your line if ya tried to bring a northern in his boat! I myself usually lick down there side b4 I let em go!

Gross. crazy.gif

Get a big enough net for the fish you might catch, hand grabbing a muskie is tought on the fingers. crazy.gif

I like the frabil with the quick snap or whatever its called, its stows away nice and pops out quick.

A. Shae

I guess I don't need a very big net -- I only catch 10-inchers anyway. wink.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Trust me Hit, you want a big enough net so that when the people next too you come over and investigate and say wow that fish is bleeding a lot and i had to explain that the fish isn't bleeding at all and it was my hand that was bleeding, thats when you want a bigger net.

A. Shae

I agree, nothing worse than fishing your buddy out of the lake becuae he thought it would be cool to grab a 50"'er by the tail and pull him into the boat after he thought he was played out. Wrong, I was using 80lb test you dumby he wasn't played just submitted to brute strength. When he grabbed his tail he let go after he got pulled overboard. It was frickin hilarious.

Paul --

If that was on video you would have made a mint.

we spent the next 2 days trying to dry off his check book and wallet. Good Times, I say, Good Times laugh.giflaugh.gif