Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Walli1

Getting ready!

13 posts in this topic

If your like me and have way to many swivels and hooks loose in the tackel box, get out some safety pins and organize them in a matter of minutes and then you'll know just what you have, just a tip!

PICT0198.jpg

I like that idea thanks for sharing. I also noticed that you have red hooks there. Do you feel the red color attracts the fish more than plan hooks?

The reason I ask is because someone told me he thought the red helped but then you can buy fishing line in red because they say it disappears in the water???? I'm all confused now.

Very organized but it just wouldn't look that good in my tackle box in short order.

Amazing, something that simple. I continue to learn from you all the time.

I agree with you dan, I like your idea of the safety pins. I have all my hooks in the packages they come in, or may combine 2-3 into 1. they then go in a soft side bag. I have been tying flu-flu's this winter for the spring bite. The boat is the next to get its spring make-over. Then the minnow tank in the garage.

Sundays have been eat-in up working at Cabela's but it a fun way to spend a day. talking fish and show others some of the new equipment this year.

I've tried just about every color hook on the croix, as far as red ones go, they work depending on what your fishing with but no better than than other colors, I believe presentation is the key, when I'm live bait riggen with shinners or chubs I've found a red hook or a grow bead and a black hook get results, with crawlers or leeches I'll take a moon glow hook first every time. If I could only have one color of hook to fish with on the croix it would have to be a moon glow, I fish mostly early mornings and I think the glow of the hook gets more fish in the box, just my two cents. 26 DAYS I'm really geared up for opener!! cool.gifcool.gif

Walli1,

Thanks for the safety pin tip, that's one I haven't seen!

Turk

I thought the same thing you have as I have had success with red hooks but now there is an ad for red line that disappears becuase it is red. in the last months edition of field and stream, a reader wrote in with the same question. the answer is longer than i'd prefer to write, check it out.

Thanks for the tip!! I am going to use that one!

i like to use red hooks when drifting.no proof it's better but me and the old man were out one day and i was nailing the eyes and he was gettin the net.so i have stuck with red on my drift set up.fdr

My catch rate has gone up on the Croix (and Winnie) since I changed to Red hooks. Yes, I have done side-by-side comparisons and yes it is repeatable. cool.gif

A red hook appears in the water a little like blood coming from the minnow. I will take a red hook every time not only for bottom bouncing but for jigging as well. Most jigheads come in a red hook as well as plain. I have found that red out produces plain or other colors on both the Croix and the Sippi. I agree with Wall1 that the only time to be on the river is in the morning - especially in the summer. It is like a different place than during the day. I am ready to move from the skinny water to the Croix in a few weeks. There is nothing better than opening morning! A start of another season of early morning on the water!

Red hooks are great, red line isn't, too much memory and strech, I bought 2, 1lb spools, loaded a couple of reels and striped it off within a month and gave the rest away. just my $.02 worth. HTB