• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MUSKY COMING TO A LAKE NEAR YOU?

LODFFB yup muskies will, eat just about all fish. event each other, i was at a muskie rearing building one time where they had a round tank with 2-3" muskies in it and several of the bigger 3"er's were trying to eat the smaller 2"er's. i would love to see green lake stocked with muskies. it would be an exceptional lake, since it has everything muskies like, deep water with humps all over, shallow rock bars, reeds and lots of food. Muskies do eat walleyes and bass, but they also eat small suckers, carp, sunnies, crappies and other forage fish. in my opinion i would think that they would help in removing some of the thousands of little sunnies (in nest anyway) and that would open up more food for the bigger ones.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• primetime49

• jigginjim

• sparcebag

• eyehead

In a study a few years ago by the dnr, they wrote that the bass eat more walleyes then musky actually do. thats just my 2 cents

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone attend the DNR fisheries meeting in Spicer this month?

Havent been feeling good enough to go and heard only 25 people went to listen to agenda.

i wish they wouldnt put them in Koronis they are verocies predators and thier are enough lakes with em already

I know Green is out and I believe kRONIS IS OUT ALSO,oops?

The local people are concerned about fish entering the river systems then other lakes,whice sounds feasible with all the drainage ditches and creeks tying so many lakes around here.

I think that muskies would be a great fit for Green Lake. I have grown up fishing muskies my entire life. I think that some lakes that are very comparible to Green lake would be lakes like: Miltona, Big Detroit, West Battle, Man Trap and so on. These lakes are loaded with structure alot like Green. These lakes also have trophy muskies along with great walleye, bass, crappie, sunfish, and northern fishing. I am all for muskies being introduced into the Green Lake/Area

muskies in green would help thin out the rock bass. then the walleye fry will have a better chance to live than just being food for those little monsters. i got 50 of them in 15 mins trollin. when the muskies make it to calhoun they will eat up some over those little sun fish and that would help out there. that would make bigger sunnys. then if they do make it over the dam they can make it to koronis then over to rice, but i bet they wouldn't make it over that far in 10 years. in that time somebody would have put a couple in over there without the dnr knowing it. but next people will say how about trout in green browns or rainbow they will at least stay in the lake. becasue the 2 closest trout lake are both are a hour anyway little mud lake and big watab.

Dump em in GREEN! Never caught one, have tried a few times.(mostly becauase of distance to musky lake). If you live in SW Mn, the options are slim. Can't see how a low population fish could make that big of an impact on other species.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow that was a read!

Question to those that are apposed to muskies because they're "eating machines" : how do you know this? Just because they get big and have big teeth does that mean they eat everything in the lake? According to that logic pike and large walleyes are "eating machines" as well. By definition ALL fish are "eating machines" if you think about it.

Here's some things to think about for those that are on the fence or anti muskie stocking. Since the days of my grandfather we have been taking all the big pike out of our lakes. Who's seen all of the old pictures of trunks full of 10+ pound pike? Our forefathers screwed up the ecosystem on most of our lakes by taking out the apex predator: large northern pike. Enter the muskie. Now you have a chance to have an apex predator that is protected against harvest. This predator helps in the balance of the lake. No you say. Take Minnetonka for example: years ago you saw TONS of black clouds of bullheads and small carp everywhere in the lake. Fast forward 20 years and funny, you don't see them anymore. What's more is that the water quality has improved over that time as well. There are other factors involved here, but the fact remains that Minnetonka is a healthy fishery with a reduced number of rough fish since the muskie has been introduced.

If you really want to look at the true scourge of the lake turn your eyes to:

1. stunted sunfish. They eat EVERYTHING in it's fry-minnow stages.

2. Hammerhandle pike. They eat EVERYTHING in the 2-6" range. The perch and walleye fingerlings really take a beating from these fish.

Don't believe me? Talk to a DNR biologist. Most people look at what muskies are going to do to the fish in the size structure they want to catch. They never look at what's going to help the entire ecosystem of fish in all stages of their life. True, a muskie may eat a walleye every now or then. They'll also eat TONS of suckers and carp that feed on walleye eggs during the spawn, sunnies and small perch that eat walleye fry, and hammer handles that eat walleye fingerlings. What's the net effect on the walleye population now?

The forage base on Green is PERFECT for muskies, especially if you want them to have the least impact on other sport fish species. The suckers, perch, ciscos, and rockbass are so plentiful out there it's crazy!

Never know, maybe more walleye anglers will take up muskies to leave more walleyes for the remaining walleye fishermen...

• 1 month later...

We are starting a request[petition] that needs 500 signatures to give Mn DNR and Kandiyohi County Commisioners.

The county atually has a pretty big say in lakes which could really help with MUSKY stocking for Green Lake,Nest Lake,and Calhoun Lake.

It will need name ,address ,phone number etc, to be legitamate of persons wanting the fish in lake or lakes.You will have chance to pen in if you want the species in one or all three of the lakes.

I will write it up and post it here and some other web sites tommorrow.Treat it like a chain letter after you print it off and do not sign more than one of these if you get one from a freind .

You have to absolutly sign it and give address or they do not get proper review.500 names would be a great start,and being this is the most viewed topic ever on this [Fishing Mn]Willmar area site I think we can do it.

We /I have become aware of Muskie,Musky ,[MUSKELLUNGE],Cree Maskinonge,Esox Masquinongy, being present and having the ability to thrive and even show signs of reproduction in both Nest Lake and Green Lake in Kandiyohi county of Minnesota.

As this fish is native to Minnesota and I have an interest in fishing I /We would like to see these further stocked and allowed to use these waters as a recreational habitat for this species.

I am signing only one petition and including my address to be used as proof of my identity [this information will not be shared with any persons other than Mn DNR ]I have also dated this signature.

20 signatures per page will be submitted and they will be mailed to Cabin Fever -Post Office Box 11 Spicer MN 56288

Once 500 signatures have been collected we will ask for public meeting with The Mn DNR and the Kandiyohi County Commisioners.All persons wanting can print this form from here and get persons to sign[just make sure they have not signed more than one petition].

thank you.

ex 1.John Doe 11/21/08 box 12 Suffragate City,Mn55a32

sign 20 signatures here

#1 thru #20

primetime49,

You should put that bad boy in the Musky section. I bet in would be of interest to alot of musky anglers around the state to have a lake with some Musky's in it around our area.

BTW, i'm gonna print of a couple forms and see if I can get them filled up with some names.

The metro also wanted to keep Green a Smallmouth haven. You can see where that went. How many names have you got from the people that live in kandiyohi county? I would vote for something not in my back yard.

Theres alot more guys from our area fishing musky now a days then you think. I've personally introduced around 6-10 guys to musky fishin this year alone. Ill bet I can fill up ten of those sheets in a week. Its only a matter of time before we get one stocked boys....We just need to be heard.

Theres alot more guys from our area fishing musky now a days then you think. I've personally introduced around 6-10 guys to musky fishin this year alone. Ill bet I can fill up ten of those sheets in a week. Its only a matter of time before we get one stocked boys....We just need to be heard.

Aint gonna happen.

I agree with eyehead. Prime, I would post something up in the muskie forum. A lot of them don't check out the Willmar forum. I would also be interested in helping you out with this. I am a little confused about the form though, so if you could explain that a little better, that would be great.

Eyehead, I think we could fill those forms up in a heartbeat and fill them with numerous Kandiyohi County residents regardless of what JigginJim believes. I get a kick out of his anti-musky attitude as he holds a musky in his avatar.

I think that there are alot of people who fish muskies in the Willmar area. I have lived here for a year and a half and have met many people who fish muskies. EsoxCop has a great point about JigginJim's aviator and anti-musky fishing attitude. I grew up in Northern Wisconsin and all hte lakes with muskies in are also excellent multi-species lakes. Putting muskies in would benefit Green and thin out some of the thrash species in the lake.

Who says Jim has an "anti-musky fishing attitude"? Maybe he loves to fish for them, but doesn't see the need to put them in every lake just because someone wants to be able to fish for them 5 miles from their front door????

I doubt they would be a detriment to the lake, on the other hand, I don't think they'd do anything positive for the area either.

Simply not true at all. They are FAR from being put in every lake and they actually do a lot of good for lakes. The only problem is that the concept is somewhat complex for some to understand because people refuse to listen and educate themselves on the issue.

I dont think people refuse to listen! I believe people do and should have a mind of their own.Some may want muskie stocked but they should respect the others view also.There's nothin complex about that.

Its been put in front of the DNR already,they decided not to stock, not only because of lakeowners views but the river,drainage ditch access to other waters.

Try emailing the DNR Ask.

They're non native and serve no purpose other than a few people think they deserve to be able to fish for them in their own back yard.

Game farm fish.