Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ranckenstuff

Goin for the Record this summer

13 posts in this topic

the state record rock bass swims in Vermilion....

Rockbass????

Is that some kind of strange invasive species???

Can't say as I have ever caught one of those. smile.gif

I'm sure I'd remember if I had.....?

It good to set goals for yourself, I hope you get that fish of a lifetime. Man I wish I had a few good Rock bass spots. smile.gif

"Ace" cool.gif

C'mon Ace, you have caught rockies, you know us southern guys call'em goggle-eye's.

Just dangle a bobber and worm next to a crib dock. You'll get a google.

Still want to take that smallie trip!!!!

Doug

I've got a photo from last summer with a Rock Bass on a ruler- 8.75 in. Probably not a record but seemed to be a 'biggie so I took a photo. I'd post the photo but couldn't figure out how to do it.

StillFishin

Hey Doug,

It's always been a tradition with my brothers and I to deny ever catching a "Rocky" when one of the others boats one. An inside joke if you will that started years ago. smile.gif

If you're fishing for walleyes out on one of the reefs in Big bay in the evening, catching a rock bass is a sure sign that the walleye bite is over and it's time to go. Thats how it all got started back then, we figured if we denied any knowledge of "Rock bass", the walleye bite would continue.

Unfortunately it rarely worked out that way. smile.gif

The invite is still there for Smallies anytime you can get away from all that resort work. June would be the best, but whenever we both have the time is cool with me. Would like to do a whole day just because there is so much water, but if a few hours some evening is all we can do, thats Ok too.

"Ace" cool.gif

There is a seasonal movement of trophy rockies. Late summer only on windy crappy rainy days trophy's move near the "frog". I agree worms work, although the biggest rockies I've caught were on red spinners with a medium leech. It seems Vermilion has gone from a rocky #"s lake to a trophy lake.

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

StillFishn

email me at ranckenstuff@yahoo.com and I will post it on this thread

This is fun...its going to be a long 5+ weeks!

Ranchenstuff,

I tried emailing you but it came back as no yahoo account.

StillFishin

I've caught trophy-sized weeds grin.gif

caught what i later found out was probably pretty close to the record up on the vermilion river a few years ago.....couldnt even launch it with the bullhead bat.....there are quite a few around the narrows area.....i also agree with ace that is usually a sign that they have taken over from the eyes and its time to go......is this the one and only guideman?...welcome back terry..............

Quote:

I've got a photo from last summer with a Rock Bass on a ruler- 8.75 in. Probably not a record but seemed to be a 'biggie so I took a photo. I'd post the photo but couldn't figure out how to do it.

that actualy is just an average-small sized rockbass. Ive caught them up to and around 16 inches. most average 9-13

StillFishin

StillFishin

change the 'h' to a 'k'...

And we'll see how she looks before you get your replica. grin.gif

Seeing that I never fish for the rockies, the 8.75" was a biggie to me and my personal best and felt motivated to take a picture of it on a ruler.

Man, I've got aways to go to get to a 13 incher!! Of course I'm not even close to any record of any species except a huge smallie I caught years ago.

Rankenstuff, I'll check out the "h" thing in your email but my main computer is down and that's when the photo and email is.Hopefully they are still there when I get it back.

Stillfishin

The biggest rock bass on earth can be found in the Vermillion River above the falls. Dangerous area to get your boat as you must go through some small rapids, but by far the biggest rock bass anywhere. Thought we were close to a state record with several. Lauch your boat at Gold Mine Camp and get at em. I prefer walleyes or big pike myself.