Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
guideman

New tackle store in Tower.

13 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Well the store isn't really new, however their tackle shop has been transformed. The Tower Fuel and Food store has a new owner and he has totally transformed the tackle department of the store.

They have put in rows and rows of tackle, which includes an excellent supply of Muskie tackle and equipment. Lures from all the major Muskie tackle

companys, as well as some of the basement baits.

I went in there to meet the new owner today and was blown away by the improvements to the tackle department. It's by far, the most complete Muskie shop anywhere near Lake Vermilion. They also have lots of great stuff for all you Walleye, Bass and pike fishermen. This is a huge step up from what used to be available, in the Lake Vermilion area.

I was really impressed.

"Ace" cool.gif

Ace,

Thanks for the update. It is great new to know that I can stop in to Tower and find some muskie tackle as well as the other stuff that I always need. Good to see you back on the forum. By the way how is the ice doing in Pike Bay? How long does it normally take for the ice to be off Big Bay once Pike Bay is ice free Can't wait to get out on the soft water again.

The river is opening up right now, so I should have my dock in the water in a couple of weeks.

Big bay is always about 10 days behind Pike bay but the weather will have a lot to do with that.

In any case, it won't be to much longer and we'll be back on open water again. smile.gif

"Ace" cool.gif

Very good news about the new Fuel and Food tackle shop!

We needed a good shop that can supply what the local bite demands!

I will have to go check out his shop soon.

Cliff

Great to hear they expanded, we always stop there on friday nite on the way to the cabin. they always have very good live bait. prices reasonable too.

I have been there often so I am excited to see a new change for them. I go to the "Y" store also. Sometimes they have better live bait. Do you guys know of a good off the beaten path resturant that I could go while I am vacationing up there? Where do you recommend your clients go? I know all ready about the Tower Cafe, and the resturant at the joint by Marjo's. Are there any others?

Thanks!

Try the Black Bear Cafe on Hwy. 169 about 10 miles south of Tower.

BayView Lodge and The Vermilion Club on Highway 77.

The Good-Old-Days in downtown Tower.

All of these spots have good food and reasonable prices.

Cliff

The "Good old days" on main street in Tower, has the best bacon cheeseburgers, in the whole wide cheesburger eaten world. You can get "Poor Gary's pizza" at the Vermilion club, best on the range.

The Black Bear has the best Philly's west of the city of brotherly love, great burgers too. smile.gif

Man, I'm gettin hungry!

"Ace" cool.gif

Try the "bamboozler" at the Vermilion club. Pizza so large, 4 hungry guys could not finsh it.

Lund Explorer,

The Bamboozler can easily be eaten by three guys (father and two sons) the only problem is after that, you can't do anything after for about a day. And I wonder why my belly is so big. grin.gif

muskieswen, I am thoroughly impressed.

We didn't even finish one between 4 of us and I was hurting. It was a pretty uncomfortanble snowmobile ride back to the cabin. Then again, we also ate the giant nacho plate before the pizza came.

I think 'Stick' wimped out on us he usually can down a whole large pizza himself, at least he could back in high school.

Thank you very much! I am a regular up there for as long as I can remember but seem to be in a "rut" trying new places out.

Are the small lakes in the area...like Pheiffer or Lost open yet?

No lakes in this area are open yet, but a few probably are getting close.

Cliff