Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IKOLA

Quest rods

3 posts in this topic

Last spring I Bought a Shimano Stradic reel. The guy behind the counter said there was a new rod company called Quest, they are giving away any one of there rods free with the higher end shimano reels. Free is my middle name so I picked through what seemed to be a nice selection of rods made with the IM7 graphite which I have heard better known companys praise. I settled on an ultra lite since I needed one. After using it a few times last year I was impressed it seemed to be made well and had nice action.

The other day I went out to my favorite early spring panfish spot, its one heck of a walk with plenty of mud and forest to slow ya down. After a few casts my bobber floated into a little patch of bullrushes. Doing what I had thousands of times I gave it a quick twitch just to get it out of the sticks, nothing hard I'm no (Contact Us Please)! I herd a loud snap and the rod ive used no more than 5 times had snapped right above the biggest eylit. It was a perfect break, no crunch, no freying. I take exellent care of my equipment and just days before I organized and cleaned all my rods with no signs of damage.

Has anyone used these rods and how do ya like them. The rod was free so I cant complain too much but when the only rod you got with ya breaks after ten minutes anger does not quite explain the feeling.

Was this a freak of nature thing or bad craftmanship?

It might have just been bad graphite. I have seen it in rods, hockey sticks and graphite golf shafts. Sometimes there is a weak spot and it will just break right away. Craftsmanship??? It may have something to do with it. I have seen Fenwicks, G. Loomis, St. Croix and others just snap as well. It happens, but that's why I buy high end rods, because most have a lifetime warrenty. Try sending it back to the manufacture. No need to mention you paid nothing for it. What are they going to say... "No." Your no worse off.

I may be wrong but I think Quest rods are a Dick's store brand and not very sought after. For free you cant complain too much. Try bringing it back where you got it to see if they'll get you a new one.