Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
walleyedan

Bye, bye ice

17 posts in this topic

It rained pretty darn steady up here last night. I'm not sure how much rain we accumulated, but things are looking pretty weak. Looking at the channel this a.m., it looks as though there might be some open water fishing pretty soon. The lake (Gull), might take awhile longer but the channel areas should be good to go in the next week or so. My last ice outing (Tuesday) was my best in years. The crappies and sunnies were really cooperating. Northlands Forage Spoon tipped with a few eurolarvae was the ticket. Can't wait for the open water crappies.

Have a nice weekend,

Walleyedan

Hey WalleyeDan,

Do you have that fancy Triton all polished up and ready for the water yet!?? I'm looking forward to some crappie fishing in the lakes area real soon.

P.S. you email...

-mr grin.gif

Meat Run,

No Triton this year. I will be running a 20 foot Boston Whaler Dauntless. It will be perfect for getting back in those reeds in search of the early season cropeyes. Not rigged and ready yet, but the crew at Nisswa Marine is pretty darn efficient and will have it ready when it's time.

Walleyedan

Maybe we can call you Redfish Dan or Marlin Dan now,Boston Whaler?? laugh.gif

Are you going to have a fighting vest/chair in the bow too Dan? grin.gif

Yeah

Yeah

Walleyedan

Is Pelican's ice gone yet? If so can anyone give an update on the water level? How much rain did you guys get up there?

The ice is just pulling away from the shores on pelican as of last night. Looking at the shoreline and channel area by the little church, it doesn't look like the water has come up at all from last fall. If it has, it has come up very little.

What I'm noticing is that any body of water that is spring fed is appearing lower than when they froze in the fall despite the rain we're getting now. Many small ponds appear to be mostly mud and weeds exposed as the ice is melting. The pond between Reeds and The Paul Bunyan Nature center is a good example of this.

Another example is Mollie lake where I saw 5 deer wading in the open water around the edge of the lake. They were standing in 6" of water where there used to be about 3 feet of water 5 years ago.

Lakes with an inlet should benefit the most from this rain but the water table in general will take several years of good rain fall to come back up to normal.

ccarlson

There was a guy fishign on the west side of Round Lake this evening.

I try not to look at these guys walking through the weeds on the mushy ice by themselves in April. I just hate unhappy endings...

It's always best to be cautious, especially this time of year. It's been kind of weird this year though. The rain and warm weather has pushed the ice away from the shorelines on the bigger lakes, but in the places I have checked, there is about 5 inches of honeycomb with over 15 inches of solid ice underneath (a few days ago). It looks like without the sun beating on it, the rain wasn't quite enough to break down the ice all the way through. Of course next to shore the large amounts of runoff are enough to melt the ice.

This was on a couple of lakes I checked, and I personally wouldn't recommend going on the ice right now unless you absolutely knew what you were doing.

Hey Dan - what is the season total (so far) for rain/snow totals...we have a place on North Long (Lakeside) and as you know lake levels last year were very low all over...any predictions for what to expect this year?

While I am not Walleyedan, but I can tell you to expect the same lake levels you had last fall unless we get deluged this spring. I do quite a bit of hyrodrology monitoring with my job and everything is still really low. The snow doesn't really "up" the lake levels like everyone expects.

While I am Walleyedan and I agree with B420. We need some serious soakers to get the levels up to where they need to be. This low water period that we are in is not a good thing, but it can certainly turn around. Look at the cycles that we have been through over the years. I have talked with long time residents of Lake Edward that remember it being worse (lower) than it is now. Hopefully things will come around. For now, it would be nice to get rid of this snow and cold.......maybe I should be getting the fish houses and the Sno Bear tuned up and ready to go. confused.gif

Happy Easter,

Walleyedan

Quote:

This low water period that we are in is not a good thing, but it can certainly turn around. Look at the cycles that we have been through over the years. I have talked with long time residents of Lake Edward that remember it being worse (lower) than it is now.

Dan's right . . . I know of one elderly couple on the lake who said you used to be able to walk out to the sunken islands in the bay. There is currently at least 5-7 feet of water over these islands, if that tells you anything.