Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DUTCHMAN

Crappies

4 posts in this topic

This will my families third summer north of Park Rapids in a seasonal campground. We had camped in various campgrounds in both Minnesota and North Dakota for 5 years previous to this and the Park Rapids was easily our favorite area. We spent 38 nites in our camper last summer.

Now to the subject, I have two sons aged 10 & 12 and we would like to get more serious about the amount of fishing we do. We have fished quite alot the last two summers, but it was difficult to do because of their inexperience, baiting hooks,tying knots, undoing tangles,etc. They are quick learners and now would like to fish even more. They really enjoyed catching the few crappies we caught last year and I was wondering what are some of the better crappie lakes in the nothern Park Rapids area. And also what tips could be shared. Can't wait to get back on the water. Thanks.

What time of year are you thinking? Most area lakes hold fishable populations of crappies. What lakes or area is close for you. Tips for any lakes are dark bottoms, bull rushes or logs, and overhanging trees for the spawn.

We are located by Emmaville. Because I coach my sons soccer teams I can't really start to fish until Memorial Day weekend, so I am interested in mostly June and August. We caught some in Lake George, and I have also heard Mantrap is good. I appreciate your response, gives me a starting point on what to look for.

They're everywhere in Mantrap. Not much size anymore but easy to find in the early season. Go right for the lilypads...they will be there. Bobber and a minnow... Did ok with 2" Power Minnows last spring as well...less time baiting the kids hooks!

Tuna cool.gif