Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blackjackdavey10

looper question

23 posts in this topic

Fished in front of the Lester last Friday and luckly had the gods on my side. was able to ice a 31inch looper that looked to go about 12lb, I know the history of this BC species of rainbow but how big do they get i have seen some at the French that were in the high 20inch range but had never seen one over 30 do they get even bigger? Wow what a fight though about 25min to land that pig and now it will be on my wall.

From what I've read, they normally don't get quite that big, but I suppose it's not unheard of. Congrats on the nice fish! You should post some pics of it up here; I'd love to see it!

Sounds like a Steelhead to me?

Quote:

Sounds like a Steelhead to me?

What defining characteristics do loopers have that steelhead do not? I am afraid I wouldn't know the difference and end up getting tagged by Johnny Law. I have heard that loopers are chunkier looking than steelheads. True??

Loopers always have a clipped fin. Yes usually Loopers have a more chunky look to them and are darker in color. I have seen some loopers that go close to 30 inches but not very often. The DNR site has the pictures of each.

Quote:

The DNR site has the pictures of each.

Where? I cannot find the pic on the web site

Quote:

Quote:

The DNR site has the pictures of each.

Where? I cannot find the pic on the web site

Oh never mind, I found it grin.gif

I've got a few steelhead over 30 including a 33 inch buck over the years, but i've really never seen any loopers that long. It seems that when loopers reach 28 inches they just keep getting deeper. But I'm sure it's not unheard of. My bet would be that it was a clipped steelhead.

I'd have to second Quickstrike's response. I too have caught steelhead over 30", but never a looper. 28" is about the biggest looper I've caught.

Inspect the fish for any other fin clips. I'd guess clipped steelhead. Still a rare catch. Congrats.

My largest looper was a big black male that went just under 29 inches and weighed about 9 pounds. Never caught any other loopers over 27 inches, and most were in the 20-25 inch range.

This fish had a clipped fin and was a male with a big hooked lower jaw it was definatly a looper as my friend that some of you might know from this sight (Case Loma) was with me, and he has caught them before. I am trying my hardest to get a picture of it on the sight i hope i can today or tommorow i am taking it to be mounted to Artistic Angler in Duluth. It was a dark fish but still had some great purple and green areas.

Then you have a true North Shore trophy looper. Good one, and now you'll have it on the wall to look at for a long time. grin.gif

Congrats blackjackdavey10 thats a monster!

Nice fish bud! I think of every dead looper as a trophy but that is true trophy. Enjoy your new decoration as well.

blackjackdavey. ARRRR thats nice Looper.

you should get a graphite reproduction. they look much better and last much longer in my opinion

AND you get to eat the looper!

I did get to eat it and the great lakes chemicals in it OH well!! i am having a graphite mount of it done. how is Artisic Angler taxadermie any one else take there fish there? By the way how the Heck do i post my pics of this fish i can't figure it out. any info would be awsome...

E-mail me the pics. I'll post them for you. My e-mail addy is in a link below in my signature.

Finally figured it out here are the pics of my looper.

trout.jpg

ice2.jpg

nice looper!!!

Nice Looper. I have caught a 30 1/2 in. buck looper this year further north. Yes they do get that big. I hit mine on the head. Congrats. shocked.gif

Excellent fish! Congrats