• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rain rain go away!

Oh no, days and days of rain and rain/snow mix forecast thru the weekend and into next week.....Ouch! I've never wanted the weatherman to be so wrong! Runoff from any substantial rain can put a fork in it pretty quick too.

Shades of last March and the early muddy water on account of the darn rain.....We need devine intervention!

fiskyknut

Fisky, Do you think that the rain will make as big of an impact as it has in the past? (what are they talking for totals?) Usually it seems that it rains when there is still 12" of snow on the ground and then you have gushers all at once. I am hoping if it does rain that the ground will take some of it before sending it to the river. I thought the same thing though when I saw the forecast. It just isn't open to where I want it to be yet, but waiting any longer is taking a big chance....Last year it went to pot in a hurry but we were there at the right time when the getting was good. Whats your guess open water reaching pinewood area with the cold forcast?

Fisky,

Has it ever mudded up when the river is still ice covered at Birchdale?

Talk about your highs and lows. Getting excited then hear there is 36 inches of ice at Birchdale. It is getting close to Birchdale with strong winds out of the east. (which should really help) and now it MAY mud up.

My heart can't take much more of this.

Accuweather is calling for about an 1"-1.5" accumulating 'til Sunday. Ice at Birchdale doesn't mean that the river won't muddy up. With a good majority of the frost still in the ground, absorbtion will be minimal and runoff will occur. However, with swamps, areas of grass by the river and other factors to slow the runoff down it won't likely be as severe. The one problem is that excess runoff could encourage the 'forks to open up, which would put a damper on things real quick. If we get the 1" or so that is forcasted over the next 3 days, there is a good chance that everything will be fine, but if for some reason we start getting substantial amounts....well lets just say I don't want to think about it.

It is what it is and hopefully conditions will hold good this year, all that runoff isn't good for the walleye production.

Take Care and Good Luck Fishing Guys!!

If you look at the Clementsonresort's web page (THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THOSE UPDATES !!) It looks like it will be a good 4 days till launchable water at Birchdale (real white ice). 4-5 days till the Frontier. I have seen this river open real fast in the past, I just think without current, the river is NO different than the lake. (and that ain't opening anytime soon)The rain will help it move and open, but you have to take the good with the bad and suffer through run off (the forks will open before the Rainy). The way it sounds is the fish are not there yet anyway, There are some decent reports of numbers being caught out by the "gap" but nothing big. The temp of the river water is suffering from no run off also, and that will slow down the 'eye movement. This is my thought, I'm usually sitting in the boat on the river justifying why I am not catching anything, but that whole devine intervention thing got me thinking, ....wait, the fish will come....set the hook grin.gif

I dunno....I think she'll be open at Birchdale by Saturday, Sunday at the latest. Pinewood is down past Frontier so that ai'nt gonna happen till next week sometime maybe?

Maybe some folks are'nt getting the BIG fish yet in the gap but others for sure are!!! I know of quite a few who have had waaaay good results over there the past week and a half with lot's of lunkers showing up.

Last March we got dumped on pretty good in a hurry, like an inch and a half over a day and a half. Hopefully we'll just see light rain on and off and it won't just pour right in like it did last Spring?

Probably gonna see a very short window for the good bite. Will the lack of current be a bad thing? I dunno, last fall folks were talkin how the lack of current would make for a tough bite and a smallish Shiner run but I saw alot of bait and the fishing/catching was darn good too most days.

I would agress it has a long ways to go before it reaches pinewood, 19 miles smirk.gif. I am hoping that it may be just the perfect ammount of rain to open the river but not the forks crazy.gif if that is gonna be possible. I have well have heard of some large fish taken and a few this last weekend again. I think if we can get there the fish will be waiting. I agree the window will be short so we are gonna be ready to leave at any time, just have to see it reach those magical spots wink.gif Until them I am gonna sit here and ponder

Thanks Fisky !!! I sure hope it is open, I just can't stand it, the boat is hooked up, jig box packed !! I don't think the lack of current will hurt fishing at all. The current, or lack there of, has to be hurting the ice off predictions. As long as that ice is gone or accessable, match the proper jig size to the current , FISH ON ! That whole NOT catching fish thing, is the only way I can stay at work. Cause if they were snappin' I wouldn't be typin' smirk.gif

.75" to 1" over the next 3 days and winds from the easterly direction. Everything will be fine! Lets here a little excitment instead of all this negative talk. Our group will be up there all next week. Coming up on Sunday afternoon and leaving Saturday night. It is gonna be great, lets all say it together "RIP SOME LIP" cool.gif

I don't really care if it muddies up or not...what ever happens, happens ya know! If it's muddy, I'll just try and hook a couple Sturgeons, either way it'll be fun once I finally make it up for the spring trip. The fishing is way slower when the river is dirty, but atleast I don't have to wait in line for 2 hours to launch the boat!! grin.gif If the river gets muddy, it just means you might actually have to work to catch the fish...Whats wrong with challenging conditions?

With some talk about "the fish are not there yet" doesnt really suprise me much. Just speaking for myself, I have had the best luck west of birchdale. What im getting at is there hasnt been the large crowds of people fishing that stretch of open water yet to give any good (or bad) reports. Im thinking the fish will be there wink.gif

I heard all the walleyes died off this winter and won't be returning to the Rainy this week...

Just to verify it though, I'll go up and check for you guys... Just wait by your screens and I'll get back to you as soon as I can determine the truth... Whatever you do don't go crowding the Birchdale Access until you hear... grin.gif

Hey gorilla...i'll come up and assist you with the fish searching!!!

So far so good with the rain. I've been in the cities in meetings for three days and very glad it was raining there & not here. So I'm back home with a bad case of road rage & still can't get in at Birchdale!

Gotta love the guys that are here and are draggin', winchin', pushin' & pullin' to get boats in where ever they can. Not bunches of fish caught today but one group did ok this afternoon. Two groups re-tooled & caught good fish on the lake.

What usually muds up the river is when the "Forks" blow out under the ice. They don't need to break up to mud up. The ice cap actually contains the water & increases the velocity to flush the mud down. I won't taunt the River Gods by saying I don't believe that will happen this year.

Still hoping to get a couple weeks of good fishing in.

YIKES.....Looks like the rain and snow will now soon depart only to be followed with single digit and teen lows and daytime highs only into the upper teens, low twenties thru till the weekend.

Got to love this MN weather.....Good for the late season icefishing anyways!

fiskyknut