Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Corey Bechtold

Marine Batteries

24 posts in this topic

I am getting the boat ready for Open Water ( grin.gif ) and I might have to replace my main battery. There are plenty of different options out there but I was wondering if some of the expensive brand batteries are worth the money (Optima, Gel Cell, etc). Just wondering what everyone else is using or your thoughts about specialty batteries?

Later,

Corey Bechtold

Good question, Corey. I was just wondering the samething myself yesterday. I need a new trolling motor battery.

So far, the gel battery at Fleet Farm has my interest.

I've never owned one, but it's hard for me to think they are worth the extra money.

I think this will be at least year 5 or year 6 for my current batteries (Stowaway brand - group 31), they cost me like $60 each. So, the problem comes in when I think of spending two or three times more $ because I find it hard to believe the battery life will increase proportionally to the cost of those premium batteries.

I've had good luck with Stowaways and they are reasonably priced.

I've got a class 27 I purchased from K-Mart 5yrs ago its yet working fine,So I just went to WalMart & got a class 29 to run my new bow mount,I'll use the old one for starting & electronics.In other words,untill I'm a guide I'll keep with the cheepies at 60-70 dollars each!

I bought the Optime dual (starting and Deep cycle since I heard good things about it. But I had a bunch of gift cards to burn so it did not cost me anything. Otherwise i would buy interstate. Have not had good luck with trojan batteries. My starting battery lasted a year and the trolling batteries are in need of replacement after a year and a half. confused.gif

I run Interstates and really like them. Plus my Interstate guys/gals really know what service is all about.

Optimas are very good batteries. Lighter and hold a charge nicely. I know guys that swear by them. I just cant justify the cost when my Interstates do the job nicely for me.

I went with the AGM batteries from FF for my TM. I chose AGM for 2 reasons 1. They don't leak 2. I have been able to abuse shocked.gif them a bit and they are still working flawlessly. Bottom line for me is that I didn't want to deal with the maintenance of a traditional lead acid battery so I was willing to spend a bit more. I think the downside of these batteries as they don't last as long per charge. Get the type of batteries that work for you and your wallet.

Quote:

I run Interstates and really like them. Plus my Interstate guys/gals really know what service is all about.

Which ones are you running I need a 24 volt system now and I'm considering Interstate.

Always had good luck w/ Stowaway deep cycle but not w/ starting batteries. Last year got a Trojan, and I can go a lot longer on a charge.

I should mention that this battery is for the outboard, running lights and my main locator. Would it be worth getting a Optima?

Thanks for all the responses,

Corey Bechtold

I purchased a couple Gel batteries a few years ago and can only say they have been the best I have ever owned. I have a friend that seels them and he states that all buyers have been very pleased. Yes, they are spendy but darn good.

I stick with stowaway's. They work well for me and have lasted as long as 10 years. I use the same batteries in the fish house as I do in the boat and have not had any problems yet. Some of my friends have tried the $130 agm and gel tpye from fleet farm. They don't seem to have as much reserve capacity as the $60 stowaways.

I bought two Cabelas AGMs made by Exide in 2000 and will be replacing them this year with another pair of AGMs. The only thing to worry about are keeping the connections clean. smile.gif

Pierbridge Im pretty sure Im running 2 SRM-27's. About $85 a piece if I remember correctly.

Thanks! I can get those for cost for $65 plus tax I think I'll go that route.

Good price. Im sure you will be happy with them.

Quote:

I've never owned one, but it's hard for me to think they are worth the extra money.

I think this will be at least year 5 or year 6 for my current batteries (Stowaway brand - group 31), they cost me like $60 each. So, the problem comes in when I think of spending two or three times more $ because I find it hard to believe the battery life will increase proportionally to the cost of those premium batteries.

Jackpot! grin.gif

I am a guide, Thats why I won't/can't spend the money on a gel battery. I have 2 group 27 batteries that run everything on the boat from radar to downriggers to refrigerator. My current boat is a 2001 model and those are the original batteries from Florida. As far as maint. I plug into the dock when I come in and the charger takes over. When the boat comes out for the winter I turn the switches to off and leave it, fire the engines in the spring when it goes into the water. Been this way since new and still going and going. Doesn't get much easier than that.

I am very happy with Sears marine deep cycle batteries (about $110). I just traded in my boat and the battery in it was 9 yrs old and still started my boat this year. Trolling motor battery I replaced, 9 yrs old could only get 1/2 day out of it. I store mine in the basement (on wood) in the winter with full charge and recharge them in the spring.

Wow!Nine year old batterys,you got your moneys worth out of those!c63 grin.gif

I bought a Everstart Deep Cycle from Wal-mart 2 years ago. Have always maintained it and stored it on a board in my heated shop. Went fishing yesterday, couldn't even get it to turn on a small 12 volt light bulb! JUNK!!!!!!

I called Wally world today, and they told me it had a 24 month warranty. Go figure.

Who sells the Stowaways?

I believe NAPA sells Stowaway's. Excellent battery for the money.

Has anyone had experience with the Nautilus Gold? The reason I ask, a friend of mine get get me one at cost for around $85-90$.