Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBMasterAngler

Kadunce Pink Salmon

7 posts in this topic

If anyone is familiar with the kadunce river (about 9 miles NE of grand marais) do you know if it gets or has gotten runs of pink salmon in the fall? I know it's pretty small creek that is usually blocked off by gravel in the fall, but when I was a kid I used to catch little brookies and rainbows out of there all the time. Sometimes I'd get these even smaller trout (probably about 5 inches long) that I just assumed were juvenile brookies but just didn't look right. I have always thought that maybe they could be pink salmon. Are juvenile pinks even still in the streams in june? If anyone could tell me about pinks in the kadunce that'd be great. Thanks.

If it has water going into the lake it normally has some pinks.

Kadunce. Now that's a name I haven't heard in awhile. My Grandparents used to take me fishing up the Gunflint and the Kadunce used to be one our stops on our fishin' rounds. I believe we turned at the Trout Lake road and the Kadunce would cross the road a ways down. Pulled out many a brook trout out of it. Thanks for stirring up some memories. smirk.gif

you can tell juvenile pinks from the other young trout & salmon by looking at their sides - pinks don't have any parr marks.

Could be what you saw was rainbow smolts.

They were kind've an orangish tannish color, olive greenish backs, then a row of dark olive blotches along the side. For the life of me I can't remember what the tail looked like though. I would catch regular rainbows in there, and I would also catch rainbows about an inch or 2 bigger that already were getting their silver steelhead colors.

I don't fish the creek anymore, but I still fish the mouth in a canoe and catch lakers, cohos, and chinooks. Never a pink salmon though. At what point after they hatch do salmon go back to the lake?

As soon as they can get back to the lake. The rivers get to low and warm cool.gif.