Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cowdy

Open Water with Access

11 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if there will be open water with a decent access by this weekend on the west side?

I was hoping to perform a spring test ride to determine if I will buy a boat I put money down on this past winter.

Thanks in advance

KC

Shady Oak Lake in Hopkins opened overnight.

Bryant Lake opened as well, with just a bit of slush in the North bay that will be gone before the end of today.

Time to fire up the boats!

Glenn

I myself am looking for a place to give the boat a good test run. Bought an older 18' sylvan, so I would like to give a good test run, or should I just wait until the opener on Mille lacs???? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Well you have plenty of time until the opener to give it a test run, but why waste away 6 weeks while you can get in some good fishing until then? I see you live in blaine, just head over to ham lake and give your boat a spin. If it's not ice free now it will be by this weekend.

I guess Ham Lake is an option. Any other suggestions?

Coon lake probably still has main lake ice, but up the road a little farther is linwood...that should be ice free, and it's just under 600 acres so you have a little more room to open up your motor and cruise around as opposed to ham lake.

So is Linwood open then or not quit yet?

I saw this post and figured what the heck I'd go check out Linwood being that it is just down the road a few miles. Linwood looks to be about 50% clear as of 9am this morning. Standing at the access, it is clear out to about the middle and you can see where the ice is driving up against the shore on the south side. Over near the 40 foot hole on the west side it looks to be clear as well. I checked out Coon as well and it looks clear out from the Theilen beach access and Norquist campground but I saw ice in Ekenstiens bay yet and the middle of the east lake.

LM

Just came from Medicine Lake. The north side by French park is open. Looks like the south end may have some ice,but as far as i could see was open water. No dock yet. Next clear day I'll be there.

Saw a boat fishing (3/31) on Clear Lake next to 35 in Forest Lake today.

Forest Lake is also 100% open.