Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sttab

Minnehaha Creek/Mississippi River

11 posts in this topic

I heard that Minnehaha Creek can produce in the spring when the water is high, all the big fish swim up there at night to feed...Anyone ever tried it, or is Minnehaha Creek just too small to hold fish when it hits the Mississippi?

The Creek is not high enough to fish yet...the mouth of the creek that feeds into the Mississippi river can produce multi specia action but the large number of people who fish the area can make it very difficult at times.

I have caught huge Walleyes 30inch+ occasionally there. No kidding. I won't say which spot but it is certainly fun. High water is a must. I would not keep anything out of there if your looking for a fish meal.

so just any high water time, or is there a certain time around spring where it picks up?

I believe minnehaha creek all the way upstream to the falls has the same C&R regulations as the mississippi does for walleye/bass/pike.

Yup! Can't keep eyes, bass, and pikes. Spring is a hit or miss and also varies on water levels. I'd wait till a bit after the floods. But don't count on being the only one there. You can pull everything from redhorse, crappies, to white bass and dogfish. Just test your luck...everything seems to work here. We went out on Sunday....nothing great yet! grin.gif

was out there last night for a couple of hours and..... nothing... there was a guy out there that caught a couple of walleye's n a dogfish but don't know if he caught anything else cause it got dark n we left.... does n e body know if the place close after dark or can u stay as late as u want?

You can fish after dark... but be aware of your safety after dark. I've shore fished few times after dark at the dam, and bumped into a few "interesting" characters on the walk back to the truck. tongue.gif

parking also becomes tricky after dark. I think the limit at the park lot is 10 pm. The 'interestingness' of the characters down there increases exponentially after dark too.

I know what you guys are talking about! Use the buddie rule and you'll be ok. The action is slow for the moment but will pick up in due time. Just keep trying. The drive isn't bad. I'm not sure about parking. I've been there past 10 many times last year and was never warned or (knock on wood) ticketed. Anyone with info please share!

R you guys talking about the Minnehaha Creek Side or the Hidden Falls park side? I doubt parking at night on the Hidden Falls park side would be kosher. I was down there monday afternoon for a couple hours and was skunked, though I did manage to catch some trees confused.gif, I guess I forgot how to cast over the winter.