Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
perchking

Favorite trolling line?

7 posts in this topic

I need to re-spool for the upcoming season. Just wondering if what everybody else is using for your trolling line, I run planers on Lake Superior for early Coho's, Browns, Steelheads ect plus I use my those same rods for Mille Lacs both in the spring and Fall.

I usually use Triline XL 10lb and it has worked fine but I am always willing to try something new.

Oh Yeah I usually only troll with Cranks, Raps, sometimes harness and some spoons also.

Fireline is my line of choice. Pulling raps you can usually get the bait down a few feet more and when you do get hung up you just pull up the tree or the hook will bend and the lure will come free.

I personally like 30# Power Pro. But if I wanted to gain value from the book "Precision Trolling", then I'd use what is advised in that book.

Precision Trolling contains charts and info on how to convert their dive curves to the line you're using - very simple and easy to follow, just look for it.

I mostly use 10 lb XT when using planer boards, and use superlines anywhere from 8 lb test to 50 lb test when trolling flatlines or casting cranks. I like Stren Superbraid and PowerPro, there are other good ones too.

10lb XT for trolling cranks and using with downriggers, 20lb XT for use with the Dipsey Divers, and 80lb PowerPro to troll for Muskie.

I have used Trilene Xt in 10 or 12# test for trolling eyes on Lake Superior for years and it never let me down. In the past 2 years I put Gamma on 1 rod and tried it out and so far no problems with that either.

Mostly I troll Power Pro in 10# for eyes and 20# for riggers and 35# for dypsies.

I have yet to find a technique that Trilene XT doesnt work for except slip bobbers and some lindy rigging I use XL.

I'm a Berkley man myself, but I gave into all of the advertising this winter, and bought some 8 lbs Sufix Siege line for my walleye rod.