Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hanson

Evinrude DuckTwin

7 posts in this topic

I'm a sucker for nostalgia/traditions, especially when it comes to duck hunting. The new issue of Ducks Unlimited has an article about the "good ole days" and the gear that was used. On the front cover was this brown motor that said DuckTwin on it with an image of a flying mallard. "How Cool!" I thought. smile.gif

Well... a little research and I find that the DuckTwin was a real motor made by Evinrude in the early 1950s. Guess I need to find myself one now. smile.gif

Anyone have any stories or personal experiences with this motor?

evinrude_56_DT_front.jpg

yes I do, many years ago before I was born my dad bought one of those motors or I should say he ordered one from some place in Orr or Virginia, then when he got the motor it was blue and white not the camo color he thought he wqas going to get. Anyway it was a good motor for many years he used it as a kicker on a 21' wood Larson boat with a cabin. The main motor was a 22hp Johnson with gas tank on top and a tiller handle about 3'long and louder than all get out I think we woke up the whole county early in the morning. Oh yea the "light twin" is what we had refering to the twin cylinders, it was a three hp motor with the gas tank on top. Just a little story, my dad wanted a duck twin but got a light twin I belive they are the same motor but painted diff. ok bye.

I used to work in a small engine shop/ sport shop. I saw a couple of these in the early 80's. I have a friend that own at least one that I know of. (he has a collection of ??? (lots) of old evinrude and johnsons. There are a lot of "lightwin" motors around, bun few "ducktwin" motors. Like the previous post said I think a lot of buyers got the blue motors.

What years were they made?

I have a 52' 3 hp that I use a lot, a 56' 3hp that looks great, but I hardly ever use it. both are green johnsons.

We had a couple of those motors around the old place. I can tell you this: I shot a lot more ducks when I had one of those on my boat than I do now.

Yes, they were the same motor as thhe blue and white model. smirk.gif

I saw one of these motors at a sports shop in montivideo....just can't remember the name of the place. It is right next to the hardware store

Hanson, I found 2 of them on Ebay........one in TX on in CA, check it out, it is a very cool motor.

Someone recently e-mailed me an E-bay link to a Ducktwin for sale. I'm not really sure what fair market value is for these neat little things but I bid the auction up a little higher than I wanted to pay this week. frown.gif One more $5 bid would have won it for me but the checkbook wouldn't have balanced out either. LOL!

Oh well... next time. smile.gif