Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rainydaze

WOW is the water low

6 posts in this topic

I know I've heard the water is about 2 feet low, but after fishing on the Rainy river, and taking a look at my dock today I would question only being 2 feet. I'm not sure exactly where they take ther official measurements from, my assumption would be at the dam in the Falls,but if I measured normal water from my floating dock I would say 2 feet low would be a very optimistic measurement where my dock sits is easily down 3 feet, and after talking with many others on the lake here the general consensus is that it is as low as anyone I've talked to has ever seen it. Not that we can do anything about it now, but just wondering if anyone else wants to weigh in here.

I live just east of city beach (sand bay) the end of my dock is usually 3.5 to 4 feet deep at the end. just before the lake froze (late fall, early winter) there was no water at the end of my dock. I have given this same report (not on this post) several times and people insist it's not that low. I guess I'm am not a realiable enough source.

HEY R.D.,

YOU WANT A GOOD JUDGE OF THE WATER LEVEL WERE DOWN, GO DOWN TO THE LAKE IN FRONT OF YOUR HOUSE, HEAD STRAIGHT EAST ACCROSS THE BAY TO THE ROCKS, ON THERE YOU WILL SEE A WEAR MARK OF THE HIGH WATER MARK, MEASURE IT, I'M GUESSING IT WILL BE ALOT MORE THEN 2 FEET. I DO NOT SEE THE WATER AT THE HIGH WATER MARK VERY OFTEN, BUT IT IS A REAL GOOD JUDGE HOW FAR THE LAKE IS DOWN...BY THE WAY, YOUR FAIRLY NEW UP HERE, YOU MIGHT INVEST IN A SPARE PROP & HAVE IT WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES...LOL! HERE YOUR DOING SOME WRITTING FOR OUTDOOR NEWS...THATS COOL!

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Google Lake of the woods control board for scientific data on rainy lake. Rainy has risen out of the drought category and is back in the rule curve. www.lwcb.ca

Remember guys the lake gets pulled down in the winter. It's actually back in the curve now, not by much, but it's in the curve. http://lakes.bc.com/RainyLake.htm If you look at the center of the rule curve upper and lower bounds the lake is about 2 1/2 feet from the summer high. That doesn't change the fact that we really need some good spring rains to get the lake up to average. If not there will be no way to get the boat to the cabin this year. Black bay was nearly a mud hole the last time the water was low. Muddy/silty water isn't good for walleye spawning either.

Hey Fishmeister,

Thanks! I know not everyone wants increased press, but a little honest exposure overall is good for the area. Furthermore as you well know this is such a vast fishery, and even with increased press the simple complexity of this body of water will likely secure its prosperous future. What a great lake! I am officially doing my own version of a rain dance to help lake levels! LOL.