Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spoonbill

techniques and tips for big stone opener

10 posts in this topic

Not sure what people will think but anybody fishing border water opener that would like to share info or how well they do on big stone and/or tips? We all know how the elements make it a tough weekend. I normally fish around hartford beach using white jigs with a red hook tipped with a minnow. I Fish by a little store not sure what it is but they have a neon sign and i start their and move down to where the cabins our with the docks just south of the store. Cast up to shore. Its about 8-9 feet out from the docks and its rocky. Good place to start. I hope nobody get offended by this topic. If were all going out their what the heck why not share a little info.

I agree. A great topic. The only thing I can post is smart aleck comments as I've never fished Big Stone, but I'm sure willing to give it a shot. C'mon fellas. Let's hear what you have to say!!

Dress warm! Fished in snow and sleet a few years back! YUCK.

Ya Warm is good, Last time I went to Big Stone on opener at midnight we had to shovel the snow out of the boat. Now that I live up north, it has rained or snowed every year on openr. I have always been midnight guy gowing up as a kid on Lac Qui Parle (Contact Us Please), I have not missed an openr in more than 20 years. I can only remember a few that were not cold at night.

You can handle one of the elements but when they are all combined its tough wind,rain,cold,sleet and sometimes snow. Its never easy but it always is warm the week before or after big stone opener. Go figure. shocked.gif

i can remember several years back when it was coldand wet all weekend i talked to a couple guys saturday night at one of the local watering holes and they were disgusted cause they drove from the cities out and hadn even got on the lake cause weather so crappy i told them i hadnt either but i was able to pull walleyes from shore so sunday the 2 gentleman met me where i was fishing and low and behold we all went home with fish. HERES A TIP: when jig fishing and you feel a hit but nothing there dont give up and say you missed him cause he may have missed you and is still trailing the jig and minnow so keep jigging until your retrieval is complete.

Quote:

Dress warm! Fished in snow and sleet a few years back! YUCK.

Why does that sound so familiar. I guess one trick that I have seen used is to cast a big sucker minnow out and let it pull the bobber around the boat, it's like having an auto troller out. grin.gif

i can remember on opener one year we rode snowmobile to hilltop for breakfest.man did we get funny looks.the shallower the better.i dont know but if we dont get some rain the ice might not even be off the lake by opener this year.i just got in from ice fishing and there is still 22 or so inches of ice.i did have to use a plank to get on the ice but when on it is still good ice.if i could get on with a wheeler i wouldnt be scared to drive it. the 18th of april is not far away

the 18th is that the latest the ice has been off cause opener is the 21st

the bigger the suckers the better. I hear there is a good pizza joint in ortonville too! LOL