Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
work sucks

'04 Silverado Power Steering

7 posts in this topic

I have a 2004 Chev Z71 (45,000 miles) that when I turn right at low speeds it sometimes seems like the power steering pump locks up for a second. It doesn't always do it, but it is kind of a pain in the rear when coming around a corner with a car waiting at a stop light not knowing if it will turn. mad.gif There is ample fluid in the pump. There also was a steering recall on the linkage??, but don't think that has anything to do with it. Help please?

there is something called variable steering assist in 04 chevy's that has been an issue. Basically, the pressure is regulated at different speeds to make steering feel "right" in different conditions. I will see if I can remember to do some research for you tomorrow at work and report back

My 04' Silverado does the same thing.

I've just gotten used to it.

you could start easy, maybe theres air in the system, does she whine when you crank her?

but my guesss is with JW those steering assist mods have come through the shop a few times

Sounds like another one of those "Should be recalled, but won't" items huh? Matt - sometimes it does have a small whine - the same as the sound as if the fluid was low, but not all the time.

I did a little research on the subject on All-Data and found that many models from 02 to 06 have this problem and is considered "normal operating condition" by GM. There is an upgrade available for the gearbox, if you are really perturbed by the problem that "could" rectify the situation. I kind of wonder sometimes about how engineers can take a simple thing that has worked well for decades, such as power steering, and find a way to make it fail by overworking the design. Granted, that is how progress is forwarded. It won't be long and all vehicles will be drive by wire, which means that all controls will be electronically controlled. I think I might be rambling and getting off topic.....

by the way, it could be a recall issue but isn't as of now. There is a loose admission of a problem, but I'm sure that a few families need to be killed as a result of the condition before this happens.