Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigb56303

shore fishing areas on mississippi or the rum around anoka?

10 posts in this topic

any areas on the miss or rum that are accessible to shore fish or that are worth trying i will be moving to anoka the end of this month and just looking for options, i have a 16 ft lund with a 40hp on it but not to sure about taking it on the river thanks for any info

big b

Rum has some nice smallmouth.

Once they close the (Contact Us Please) you are fine to run your boat in the Anoka stretch of hte Miss...if you want to minimize your risk dont go more than 1/2 mile up river from the bridge. The area from teh coon rapids (Contact Us Please) to the Anoka bridge is a "recreational pool". There is plent of water and plenty of smallies, eyes, cats and other rough fish!

thanks for the info is there ny where i could get a map of the river in that area or do they exist depth structure etc

People take bigger boats than yours on the miss and rum. I haven't been able to find a water depth/structure map of the any rivers really, but I would be interested in knowing about any too if they do exist. I did find this brochure/info from the DNR. The link on the DNR site was wrong, but I found the correct link through some trial and error.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/education_safety/safety/boatwater/metro_river_guide2006.pdf

This contains some maps of the miss, minnesota and st croix, including info on boat landings, darns, rapids, wake zones, etc but not anything on depth or structure.

It doesn't have much info on the rum, but if you put in at the anoka fairgrounds ramp, you can go about 4 miles north or so I believe and there is a sign that says the no wake zone ends. North of that, I heard it gets pretty shallow.

Quote:

Once they close the (Contact Us Please) you are fine to run your boat in the Anoka stretch of hte Miss...if you want to minimize your risk dont go more than 1/2 mile up river from the bridge. The area from teh coon rapids (Contact Us Please) to the Anoka bridge is a "recreational pool". There is plent of water and plenty of smallies, eyes, cats and other rough fish!

I do not want to upset anybody but why is the word Dam (a word usually associated with restricting water flow) Such as beaver Dam and the Hoover Dam a (contact us please)... and he was referring to the Coon Rapids Dam. unless of course you spelled it the other way... confused.gifconfused.gif

thanks for the info i will try the river when i get a chance any area lake anyone favors at all?

I was on a guided fishing adventure on pool 3, the guide, had very detailed maps of the river broken down in sections from the Army Corps of Engineers. Showing all the wingdams. It was really cool. It has been about 4 years since I was on that trip, cannot remember the guides name...shame on me. Very nice guy.

I do not know if they have anything up in the Anoka/Coon Rapids area, They may only have the maps detailed of this area for barge traffic? I will try and post soon.

Herman, just curious, but are you talking about the stretch of Mississippi that runs under the Champlin bridge, where the Rum runs into it? And if so, did you really mean there are plenty of 'eyes to be had?? That's awesome if you meant it, no one thinks (at least in my experiences) that there are any walleye worth targeting in this area and I mean I dont kill them out there but I get a couple here and there, I mean its part of the Ol' Miss, how could there not be any 'eyes!? I agree with the plenty of rough fish and smallies.. Makes for an entertaining trip thou! Is there any special regulations for a "recreation pool" or is that just what you call it?

If there are "plenty of Walleye's" here I'ld like somebody to show me, they are here but scattered at best. The cat's are taking over. tongue.giftongue.gif