Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brandones

Ice at the French?

5 posts in this topic

Anybody happen to know if the ice is gone from the French River yet? I'm back in Duluth, and I've got the shore fishing itch pretty bad...

If it's not open yet, any tips on other places to look for loopers or cohos?

There was open water near the French last week when I was up the shore. Going all the way to Grand Portage Wed. I'll post what I see Wed night.

Yesterday it looked like the french was pretty well iced up still. Not much further was open water. Plenty of people around the french still either ice fishing or standing on the ice and casting into open water. This place will probably light up as soon the french opens up.

people were still ice fishing yesterday, ice has to getting pretty iffy out there. If you have the itch for shore fishing, try fishing off the knife, soney point, the two harbors breakwall, the stewart, or silver creek. All those areas are open from shore as of now.

I drove up as far as Two Harbors today to do a little fishing. Looked like the Knife was pretty close to having open shore. With the wind blowing southeast today, there was some ice that drifted in to the banks, so nothing looked completely open until I got to Two Harbors.

I fished the breakwall for a few hours while I was up there, but didn't have any action. Kind of a sad experience for my first looper outing... frown.gif