Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fish&Fowl

UMC

14 posts in this topic

I'm looking at taking a trip to Crookston within the next month or so to check out the school and the town. Just got a couple questions for the locals:

Is there much for houses/apts to rent near the school? I'm not a dorm kind of guy.

Would it be best to get ahold of a shopper or local newspaper to find rentals?

Is there a system to get ahold of current renters looking for roommates?

I realize if you're not in the school these are probably hard to answer. Just trying to get a feel for what to expect, it's coming fast! Any info appreciated.

I'm a UMC grad (Class of '95).

I lived in the dorms for 2 years and an apartment for the second 2. There are several apartment buildings within 1-2 miles of campus. Crookston has a local newspaper that I'm sure would be a good starting place.

I don't know of any system for people looking for roommates to use. Check with your advisor or at the student center when you get to campus.

UMC just built some new on-campus, "apartment" style dorms that look nice from the road.

Later,

crookstontimes dot(uknow what) wink.gif

I'm also a UMC grad (02)-

The on-campus apartments are not bad - I don't know anything about the new ones, but I lived in Lee Hall and it was alright. There is also low income housing duplexes that used to be available to students. They are on the east side of town, not far from campus.

FI

the duplexes are a set-aside for migrant housing. If there are vancancies during the cold weather, then you may get in, but ya have to vacate come spring.

Thanks for the info and quick replies!

Well I got over to Crookston on Friday to get all registered for classes again for the fall. I looked at all the on-campus housing, but nothing really sounds too appealing. I just re-read this post and saw First Ice's reply about the low-income housing, which is what I wanted to ask more about. I didn't know anything like that was available, so if anyone has any further info on that I would really appreciate it.

Also, it sounds like maybe a storage rental would be needed to put my duck boat and all other gear in. Does anybody have any idea about storage units or have room for a boat in their yard for a couple months confused.gif Housing is my last decision now so any info would be great!

Contact the Real Estate Place in Crookston and talk to Tammy, she can help you find a place to live. I dont think they deal with the low income but i know they can help you find a place to live. Maybe we will see you around campus next year.

A. Shae

What r u looking to spend per month?

Here's a number to call regarding storage:

218-289-0529

Shae-I am looking at something about $300-400/month, less if utilities aren't included.

Mike-Just for reference is that an actual storage facility number?

Thanks for the replies guys, again anything else that anyone has is all appreciated!

Yeah. The operator's cell phone. They have 2 or 3 on the south end of town.

storage building, that is.

My place is going up for rent at the end of the month here, it is 275 per month and you pay electricity, its electric heat which can get expensive during the winter if it gets real cold but not too bad. There is also a shed on the proporty, you wouldn't be able to get a boat in there but you could put decoys in there and put a padlock on the shed or store your equipment in the basement. Call the real estate place if you want too look at it and tell them its the apartment currently occupied by Andrew Shae.

Good Luck

A. Shae

email me at shaex001@mail.crk.umn.edu