Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
tunrda74

line question

tunrda74

Aloha Fellows!!!

I have a few boxes of line from last year that have been in the garage all winter and purchased from last July. do you think it is still fresh? or not worth the chance on the 1st 30 of the year?

thanks all and i am getting really itchy!!

Opie

croixeyes

If its mono and hasent had sun exposure I dont see why it wouldnt work .I dont recall seeing expiration dates on line I buy in a store,and who knows how long some of that has been around....2cents

tunrda74

ya just never know about memory and all that.

Thanks!!!!

TrophyEyes

FYI, there is a date on the spool. I always look. The date is when it was made. I try to make sure if it is 8lbs or less to not use mono/florocarbon over 3 years old. I actually will open many boxes just to find the new stuff. Light is the biggest enemy, however I have had dust and crap distroy line as well. I am as superstitious as you can be and always put new line on every year. It prevents memory, twists, nicks and any other reason I can think of. However, I have had new line that is bad. Weather the plant had heat issues, friction, or if the store puts it on wrong... who knows the reason.

If you trust your line use it. I never trust my old line, so I replace it at least once a year.

chris63

What kind of line is it?

tunrda74

I am superstious with that as well. why take a chance. eventhough the line ain't free!! The line is Berkley Iron Silk. i just love that line. very supple, good knots, and very low spool memory.

Thanks All!

Opie

Deitz Dittrich

Both Braid and Mono can be kept for quite some time. Mono needs to be kept in a cool dry place, and out of all light. I am a tournament angler and order a lot of my lines by the 3000 yard spool. Which lasts me a couple of years. I keep it in a cardboard box in a storage closet and put a few of those silica things in it. And have had line still perfect a few years later. If it was in your garadge, I would be worried that it got warm... If it got heated up it may have some memory issues, if it got wet, IE humidity, it may also have some issues. Might be better off gettingnew stuff, depends on how expensive it was and how much you have I guess?

Braid, as long as you kept it out of the sun should be fine.

tunrda74

I am just going to replace it all and pitch the other stuff. better be safe than sorry.

OK one more. I have Gorilla Braid from about two or so years ago. time to change? i am guessing so.

TrophyEyes

Here is a trick with braids or super lines. If you have two or more reals of line transfer line from one to the other, that way the "exposed" and warn line is connected to the backing and you are using the untouched stuff at your bait. I try to change my super lines every 2 to 3 years depending on my usage. I know how expensive that can get though so look at your line and check you pockets for some spare change.

gizmoguy

tunrda, I and several others I know really like iron silk also. One of the best low memory mono's I have ever used. Check out the thread on the equipment forum. They are all trashing the stuff as bad line. I like it for jigging and my bobber rods. I use the solar green. I like to put it on my kids rods so I can see whats going on when they are fighting a fish.

tunrda74

Gizmoguy, i agree! it really is a great jigging line. the line debate is like agruing Chevy Vs. Ford! i don't make a dang bit of difference.

Thanks Guys!!

Opie

tunrda74

Thanks and it is a great jigging line! the line debate is just like having a Chevy Vs. Ford Debate! it just aint worth it.

take care,

Opie

TrophyEyes

What pound test do you guys use while jigging for walleyes? I am an 8lbs test believer, but everyone looks at me like I am crazy. Then again there are a few fish on my wall that would disagree.

I also tried fireline for jigging, but I hated it. I actually stopped and took off my spool and put on my backup. Anyone else feel same/differently?

Hookmaster

If I use mono I use 6# MagnaThin. But for about 5 years I have been using 10/2 Power Pro. Awesome, especially in deep water.

tunrda74

I use 6 pound Iron Silk. i really love it. What LB's are you using for lindy's?

Opie

gizmoguy

For cast/retrive jigging I use 6# Iron silk in solar green color. 8# works too. You can control, to a point, the drop speed of the jig by increasing line diameter. The bright visable line allows you to see strikes you can't feel. I use fireline or powerpro for virtical jigging. The smaller diameter gives you more control in current and you can feel everything. For lindy's I use fireline/powerpro for the main line. 10-14# test, then a flourocarbon leader. Usually 6#

tunrda74

Gizmoguy,

I have not heard of using fire line on the Lindy. i assumed it was a little heavy? the sensitivity must be better though? i have used it jigging on occasion. however, not a good idea fishing a lot of rocks!

Opie

gizmoguy

It has the diameter of 4-6# test. And much increased sensitivity. Easier to feel changes in bottom content and light bites. You can even feel when the main line bumps a fish.

tunrda74

I'll give it a try! why the heck not? i spent the entire evening last night cleaning my rods and striping my spools. some one needs to build a better mouse trap for that duty!

Opie

TrophyEyes

Power Pro or Fireline? Which is better?

gizmoguy

Both are good. For the heavier tests I prefer Powerpro because it is rounder and less stiff. For lighter tests fireline is good because you can't notice the flat shape it can have. I use both.

jltimm

Power Pro. Lasts longer, doesn't fray, and is a little stronger per diameter of line.

tunrda74

Ok, another one just came out Rapala now has three braids. frankly is there a huge difference between them all? Come on now. The Sufix i put on sure is smooth!!

Opie