• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Darn Trolling Motor Batteries!!

Well boys, I just got back from Sconny where I brought the boat out of storage. Every year at this time, I like to dip the boat in the water in the Wisconsin River in the Wisconsin Dells (the walleye run is on there) to see what I have to fix before the next time on the water. Everything worked like a charm this time around except my Mega Tron batteries that I use to power my trolling motor went dead in exactly one hour! Man, I was so mad because I caught a nice 21 incher and a couple others, but just couldn't fish effectively anymore after the batteries crapped out. This is after always lugging those batteries inside after ever fishing trip and carefully charging them. I have had just crap luck with those Mega Trons over the years and I am ready to switch.

So, I am basically asking what you all think are the best overall batteries to go with!? Money is not an option here because I want two batteries that will work (my trolling motor requires two batteries). Are the optimax all they are pumped up to be? Because I tell you what, the Skeels boys pumped up the Mega Trons 3 years ago when I bought them and they ended up being crap like all the others.

Also, what is the best method you all have found for properly charging the batteries? Maybe I made the batteries bad myself by overcharging or something?!? confused.gif

Oh well, any comments on this would be greatly appreciated.

Bison, im not sure which batteries are teh best so I cant be of any help there but for charging we have an on board charger which is nice, but i also like to run them down and trickle charge them on 2 amp for a long time, and I would do this with your old batteries since sometimes it will bring them back.

A. Shae

Yeah, that's what I thought about the trickle charging - I think it is a lot less harmful to a battery to trickle charge it.

As far as the onboard charger is concerned, how does that work? Is that hooked to a battery as well then?

There are 2 styles of onboard charges. Main Style is one that is basically a ovedr glorified trickle charger. When you park your boat just plug it in. Batteries are maintained automaitcally.

The other style, on sale now at store in Fargo, has 2 banks and a 3rd that connects to the alternator of you bigf motor that will charge your trolling motor batteries while you are running the big motor. Then when you park, you just plug it in and leave and your trolling batteries are topped off. They come in different sizes and amps etc, there has been a couple of post about them in the last week or two, I am sure if you read some old posts you'll find some other good info.

I'd have to say that I've had my best luck with a small mart battery I bought 10 yrs ago, that still takes a full charge every time. I beleive they are called everstroll. Otherwise, Interstate's have treated my well also. You just never know with lead acid batteries. If you want to spend the money, the AGM batteries are great, but expensive.

It seems to me that most batteries go down after a couple of years. I have used Interstae and Exide and have not seen either of them last at 100 percent for more than 2-3 years.

The on-board charger should help keep them up all year.

I have been checking out deep cycle marine batteries for the same reasons.... I need to put 3 new trolling motor batteries in my 3 year old Ranger 620. The original batteries that came with the boat are not very good.

Here is where I am at after some serious investigation... I believe the Optima's are w/o question the best choice... they are not cheap but they may very well be the best... Check out their web site.

(note from admin, no unauthorized links please.)

Not sure where they sell them in the Detroit Lakes area since I live in Nisswa MN. I do know that Costco in the twin cities sells them. I will be in Mpls tomorrow and plan on buying 3 of them.. Key is buying the marine deep cycle model... D34m or D31m.... both are ideal for trolling motors.

I hope this helps...

Can't wait to get the boat in the water soon...

Joel

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.