Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bison9

Darn Trolling Motor Batteries!!

8 posts in this topic

Well boys, I just got back from Sconny where I brought the boat out of storage. Every year at this time, I like to dip the boat in the water in the Wisconsin River in the Wisconsin Dells (the walleye run is on there) to see what I have to fix before the next time on the water. Everything worked like a charm this time around except my Mega Tron batteries that I use to power my trolling motor went dead in exactly one hour! Man, I was so mad because I caught a nice 21 incher and a couple others, but just couldn't fish effectively anymore after the batteries crapped out. This is after always lugging those batteries inside after ever fishing trip and carefully charging them. I have had just crap luck with those Mega Trons over the years and I am ready to switch.

So, I am basically asking what you all think are the best overall batteries to go with!? Money is not an option here because I want two batteries that will work (my trolling motor requires two batteries). Are the optimax all they are pumped up to be? Because I tell you what, the Skeels boys pumped up the Mega Trons 3 years ago when I bought them and they ended up being crap like all the others.

Also, what is the best method you all have found for properly charging the batteries? Maybe I made the batteries bad myself by overcharging or something?!? confused.gif

Oh well, any comments on this would be greatly appreciated.

Bison, im not sure which batteries are teh best so I cant be of any help there but for charging we have an on board charger which is nice, but i also like to run them down and trickle charge them on 2 amp for a long time, and I would do this with your old batteries since sometimes it will bring them back.

A. Shae

Yeah, that's what I thought about the trickle charging - I think it is a lot less harmful to a battery to trickle charge it.

As far as the onboard charger is concerned, how does that work? Is that hooked to a battery as well then?

There are 2 styles of onboard charges. Main Style is one that is basically a ovedr glorified trickle charger. When you park your boat just plug it in. Batteries are maintained automaitcally.

The other style, on sale now at store in Fargo, has 2 banks and a 3rd that connects to the alternator of you bigf motor that will charge your trolling motor batteries while you are running the big motor. Then when you park, you just plug it in and leave and your trolling batteries are topped off. They come in different sizes and amps etc, there has been a couple of post about them in the last week or two, I am sure if you read some old posts you'll find some other good info.

I'd have to say that I've had my best luck with a small mart battery I bought 10 yrs ago, that still takes a full charge every time. I beleive they are called everstroll. Otherwise, Interstate's have treated my well also. You just never know with lead acid batteries. If you want to spend the money, the AGM batteries are great, but expensive.

It seems to me that most batteries go down after a couple of years. I have used Interstae and Exide and have not seen either of them last at 100 percent for more than 2-3 years.

The on-board charger should help keep them up all year.

Thanks for all the comments guys!

I have been checking out deep cycle marine batteries for the same reasons.... I need to put 3 new trolling motor batteries in my 3 year old Ranger 620. The original batteries that came with the boat are not very good.

Here is where I am at after some serious investigation... I believe the Optima's are w/o question the best choice... they are not cheap but they may very well be the best... Check out their web site.

(note from admin, no unauthorized links please.)

Not sure where they sell them in the Detroit Lakes area since I live in Nisswa MN. I do know that Costco in the twin cities sells them. I will be in Mpls tomorrow and plan on buying 3 of them.. Key is buying the marine deep cycle model... D34m or D31m.... both are ideal for trolling motors.

I hope this helps...

Can't wait to get the boat in the water soon...

Joel