Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
work sucks

Boat Steering

9 posts in this topic

The last few years when I get my boat back from storage the steering is hard as heck to turn. The boat is a 99 Starcraft 170LE. I have disconnected the linkage at the motor and the motor turns freely. Is there some sort of sludge that can build up inside the cable or the steering gear box at the wheel end? Any thoughts??

Unfortunately there's nothing you can do to fix it except replacing the parts. Steering cables and helms are not serviceable, for safety reasons.

You did very good already disconnecting at motor, now disconnect at helm and see if it's the cable or helm itself.

I would suspect cable, but can be the second too.

I might have the parts to replace if you need.

I have a similar problem. My 1998 Sylvan gets almost impossible to steer when the temperature gets below about 50 degrees. Like you, I have disconnected the cable from the outboard and the outboard flops around with ease. I have separated the rack from the pinion and the wheel turns freely. My only alternative is to replace the cable which is my spring project that should be getting under way shortly.

Bob

I had my steering cables replaced this winter as well.. Sometimes it just has to be done, there is no real way of fixing it, other than to get it replaced.

Got my boat on the water and the steering wheel only has about 1/4 of it's normal range of motion. Motor also flops around just fine when disconnected.

I loosened the steering cable at the wheel and the steering wheel itself turns fine, until I get to the same point.

Any advice or is it the same as above?

Yep... time to replace the steering cable.

marine_man

Is it hard to do?

I have a Nitro 175 Sport. I looked at the box in which the cable ran through under the steering wheel and it seemed to indicate that I need to replace the whole unit?? Or can I just run the cable out of the box under the steering and replace the cable itself.

Doesn't seem like it should be too hard. Especially since the marine shop is telling me that it will be two weeks for them to get to it.

I was wondering as well as the cable on mine needs replacing. It doesn't look difficult, but I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

My dad has had the same boat for 30 years and never touched the steering so I can't say I've ever looked at it.

It looks to me like I could run the cable out of the helm and disconnect it from the back, run a new cable through, connect it up and wahlah. Of course I'm sure I could find a way to turn this into an all day task.