Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ryoushi

Kicker motor

11 posts in this topic

I may put a tiller kicker motor on my boat for a little trolling. Can anyone recommend a good one? Also, it is a lund 18 ft. boat. Would I use a short shaft or a long shaft for this application?

If your boat is a really heavy/big 18 foot boat, a good 8hp would probably do what you need. Yamaha has the 8hp high thrust which is a 4 stroke that seems to get a bunch of publicity too.

I think if anything, a 4 stroke would be a good bet because the fumes will be minimal.

I have a 1989 Johnson 6hp I use on my 17 foot Alumacraft (about 1300 pounds altogether) and have no problems with it. I run Amsoil synthetic, which is very low smoke and low odor, so I don't notice the fumes, and every so often I open it up so it does not load up and die on me. 4 strokes generally will not load up like a 2 stroke, so that becomes less of an issue as well.

Steve

Very nice reply Steve. What he said is correct, Yamaha and Mercury make 2 very nice kicker motors with high thrust gearcase. I wouldn't go any bigger than 8hp or 9.9hp

I would also recomend the Yamaha T-8 or the Mercury Pro Kicker. The Merc has a few nice features and the T-8 has stood the test of time. Cant go wrong with either.

What Northlander said.

What Perchjerker said. wink.gif

I have some questions based on the replies above, as I too am interested in a kicker motor for my Lund 18 footer (1800 Fisherman).

1. What does "load up" mean?

2. So short or long shaft?

TIA cool.gif

One nice feature of the Yamaha T8 and the Mecury Pro Kicker is that they both have tilt and trim built in. If you go with something else (say a Johnson, Suzuki, or other non-tilt kickers) then you'll want to install a tilt plate (Panther) which evens the price difference quite a bit. For a Lund Fisherman 1800 you'll want a long shaft.

Quote:

For a Lund Fisherman 1800 you'll want a long shaft.

That's what I was thinking, too. Thanks for confirming it. grin.gif

Definitely long shaft since most of those rigs nowdays have a minimum 20" transom.

"Loading up" is a term used when the motor does not burn the gas/oil mixture completely, and it causes the engine to create excess carbon buildup. This will result in poor engine performance and the engine will not idle well, thus the engine eventually just quit on you. Not a huge issue, but more of an annoyance than anything. Over time, though, this will take it's toll on spark plugs and one ends up replacing them more often.

That is the really nice aspect of the 4 stroke engines...you don't get that sitaution for the most part since you are not burning oil.

Steve

"Loading Up" occurs most frequently when you don't have a kicker or trolling motor and use your big motor at a low idle moving slowly for an extended period of time. The incomplete combustion leaves a lot of deposits behind first fouling the plugs - both gas and oil. When the ceramic part gets saturated, the spark frequently happens everywhere but the tip, therefore poor firing and performance "loading up."

I've had reports from many that by using AMSOIL it doesn't load up even when using the big motor idling/trolling for extended periods (hour+). AMSOIL burns away complete leaving a cleaner combustion chamber, even when the motor is being used very differently from the job it is designed to do.