• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Kicker motor

Ryoushi

Question

I may put a tiller kicker motor on my boat for a little trolling. Can anyone recommend a good one? Also, it is a lund 18 ft. boat. Would I use a short shaft or a long shaft for this application?

10 answers to this question

If your boat is a really heavy/big 18 foot boat, a good 8hp would probably do what you need. Yamaha has the 8hp high thrust which is a 4 stroke that seems to get a bunch of publicity too.

I think if anything, a 4 stroke would be a good bet because the fumes will be minimal.

I have a 1989 Johnson 6hp I use on my 17 foot Alumacraft (about 1300 pounds altogether) and have no problems with it. I run Amsoil synthetic, which is very low smoke and low odor, so I don't notice the fumes, and every so often I open it up so it does not load up and die on me. 4 strokes generally will not load up like a 2 stroke, so that becomes less of an issue as well.

Steve

Very nice reply Steve. What he said is correct, Yamaha and Mercury make 2 very nice kicker motors with high thrust gearcase. I wouldn't go any bigger than 8hp or 9.9hp

I would also recomend the Yamaha T-8 or the Mercury Pro Kicker. The Merc has a few nice features and the T-8 has stood the test of time. Cant go wrong with either.

I have some questions based on the replies above, as I too am interested in a kicker motor for my Lund 18 footer (1800 Fisherman).

1. What does "load up" mean?

2. So short or long shaft?

TIA cool.gif

One nice feature of the Yamaha T8 and the Mecury Pro Kicker is that they both have tilt and trim built in. If you go with something else (say a Johnson, Suzuki, or other non-tilt kickers) then you'll want to install a tilt plate (Panther) which evens the price difference quite a bit. For a Lund Fisherman 1800 you'll want a long shaft.

Quote:

For a Lund Fisherman 1800 you'll want a long shaft.

That's what I was thinking, too. Thanks for confirming it. grin.gif

Definitely long shaft since most of those rigs nowdays have a minimum 20" transom.

"Loading up" is a term used when the motor does not burn the gas/oil mixture completely, and it causes the engine to create excess carbon buildup. This will result in poor engine performance and the engine will not idle well, thus the engine eventually just quit on you. Not a huge issue, but more of an annoyance than anything. Over time, though, this will take it's toll on spark plugs and one ends up replacing them more often.

That is the really nice aspect of the 4 stroke engines...you don't get that sitaution for the most part since you are not burning oil.

Steve

"Loading Up" occurs most frequently when you don't have a kicker or trolling motor and use your big motor at a low idle moving slowly for an extended period of time. The incomplete combustion leaves a lot of deposits behind first fouling the plugs - both gas and oil. When the ceramic part gets saturated, the spark frequently happens everywhere but the tip, therefore poor firing and performance "loading up."

I've had reports from many that by using AMSOIL it doesn't load up even when using the big motor idling/trolling for extended periods (hour+). AMSOIL burns away complete leaving a cleaner combustion chamber, even when the motor is being used very differently from the job it is designed to do.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.