Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rip_Some_Lip

Windshield wipers working part time...

10 posts in this topic

I have a 92 Silverado and the wipers dont work at times. I would think that it would be a short in the switch. Has anyone had this happen or have any advise on what could be the problem? Thanks for any replies.

I have had this problem on a few GM trucks in the same style. I think it is fairly common and is a problem with the pulse board in in the wiper motor. If you look on the wiper motor on the firewall, it will be facing you and comes off with a few screws. You can pick up a new one for under $20 I beleive and replace it in a few minutes. I have done a couple and this has fixed the problem each time. Hope this helps.

Yup, Pulse module. Next time they stop working pop the hood and lightly tap the black plastic cover. If they start working than for sure it is the module, if they don't then try tapping the wiper motor itself. If this works than you will need to replace the wiper motor (and you might as well replace the pulse module as well). The last possibility is that the ground has gone bad. If I recall correctly the wiper motor will have a ground strap that is attacted to it. These will get severely corroded. In the past when I have run into this I have made a strap from regular wire with eyelets on each end and attached to the housing with self tappers.

I had the same problem on my 98 blazer and my dad had it happen on his 95 Silverado. All that we did was take the cover off the wiper motor. There is a cicuit board in there that comes right out when you disconnect the connector. The solder joint on the connector on the board was bad. A little solder and it has worked great ever since. It took a grand total of about 20 minutes after driving around with them working on and off for a couple of years. It has been fixed for over a year with no other problems. I have talked to quite a few people that have had the same problem with other GM wiper motors and they were all fixed by resoldering the connection. It is a very simple fix that you could do without even taking the board off the vehicle and the cost is zero. Make sure you have some torx bits to get the cover off the wiper motor housing. I would try this before buying anything and I would guess this would take care of the problem.

My pickup (a 1996 GMC K1500) even had a recall on it to replace the circuit board.. that was about 1 year ago.

marine_man

Thanks for all the replies guys!!! I will check it out this weekend.

I have a 97 Suburban that also had the issue and as mentioned, there was a recall from GM. Got it fixed for free. Don't know how far back the recall went though.

95 k1500 fixed under recall also.

Pulse board. It is so common that a lot of aftermarket manfs. make that board.

Wow, I had 2 Chevys in the past and never had the board go out, all the times wipers weren't working was bad ground where the motor bolts to firewall, in fact I had to temporarily wire one directly to battery so I could drive home under a rainstorm.

Mine were a '94 Suburban and a '99 1 ton

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Sleder
      Wanderer ,I believe Ely seizure was something to do with the BWCA . Lots of articles in newspaper .Some law about no commercial activity ( an active viable fishery) in side of park unless it enhances park like canoe rentals ect.... They were trying to stop Fishery for last number of years. I believe DNR does not want to do away with Frozen Bait Market , they just don't want fish from the Great Lakes or other contaminated areas to bring diesese to inland lakes.  If fish does not have a VHS Certification Number on its package , I would not be using it for bait.  Grocery store stuff totally Illegal ...  I emailed a Bait Company that has VHS Certified Smelt and Alewifes   info@awesomeadventuresfisheries.com     They gave me a list of stores that carry their products ... Save hunting around for Legal Bait   Hope this Helps
    • Sushilicious
      We only fished for 5 hours (only 2 hours were worthwhile 29 ft).  
    • Sushilicious
      OK so day before father's day we had terrible weather. 1st spot was in 14 ft of current n we caught 4 eyes. Did c a sturgeon role but waste of time other than that. Next spot 6 eyes still a wasted time cause of the weather but the old man did caught a 20 in so it wasn't all that bad. But once the weather allowed we catch  26 eyes n in 29 ft of water n one was 24 in.
    • Sushilicious
      Definitely have 2 disagree with with u 2. I understand the drive n the worry but if you've fished the csn chain for 10+ years there shouldn't be a worry 2 find a campsite cause you've driven past plenty of them. Also we're in the same boat regardless of the travel distance to fine a campsite. Yes it is nice 2 have a guaranteed spot but since they went 2 paid 2 camp regulation they have taken out a number of campsites so it limits options. ALSO U R WAY WRONG ON SAYING MORE PPL R AT THE PARK NOW. I went last Saturday  (day before father's day) n we seen like 4 or 5 more boats than canoes. It's nice for ppl who don't know the csn chain but it's terrible for the economy.   Fyi. First time I went fishing on the chain I went lake trout fishing on David......... I was 6 weeks old ......... I'm 32 now..... my dad's been fishing the csn chain for 65+ years    P.s. love how there's less pressure=better fishing.
    • Rachelkate21
      Hey! Does anyone know any brooks/steams/rivers that would be full of trout? Preferably near lakeville, mn but ill travel!
    • redlabguy
      Nice fish, Jeff. And good lesson on 1/2 crawlers, Cliff. I'm off the water for a few days with family doings, but should report I've seen a lot of mayflies in Frazer and near the portage. Clouds on the sonar and slicks of the water. I'm guessing it's not the big hatch, but it's providing a lot of food for fish. good luck out there.
    • osok
      Just got back into town from a slightly too long "vacation" dealing with relatives. Anywho, how has the fishing been on Superior, are the fish local or have they migrated N.E? 
    • AaronTC05
      I just bought a new Elite 7TI and the sun cover it came with doesn't really snap on very securely.  I'd say it just rests loosely on the outside.  It won't fall off if I flip it upside down, but it feels like it wouldn't stay on going down the highway or withstand any sort of jarring.  It takes hardly any pressure to pull it off.  Is this normal or is it a defect?  I've never owned a graph with a sun cover so I'm not familiar, but I imagined it would be a lot more snug.    
    • leech~~
      We will see if Sailorfly is another ask a silly question one hit wonder? 
    • jiggin9
      I have a Lowrance Elite 7 and was curious what lake chip most of you recommend for Lake of the Woods.  The insight pro chip that came with my unit is very basic for up there and was looking for a more detailed chip.  I'm not sure what brands are compatible with the Lowrance and which ones aren't.        Thanks in advance!