Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
walligator

South Center

11 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if 4-wheelers are driving on South Center or is it to deep with slush.Looking to go from the public access to the island,quite a long trip.

Thanks,Walligator

I was on Chisago which has similar conditions yesterday. You should be fine, just watch out for drifts.

I might be out on south center tonight for the last time this season, I haven't been out in over a month i would say.

Does anyone know if you can park near the point and walk out to the pancake island area?

Doubt it.. there just isnt room to park down there. THere is a park on the other point, but I dont think its open yet either?

I have a 2wheel drive atv and made it out there from hwy 8 to pancake island with very little resistance. I would suggest parking off of sunset point however im not sure how the shore ice is holding up. Good Luck. There were plenty of small gills to be caught on last Wed.

Was out yesterday. The park on the point off of Hwy 8 is closed so there is not any parking available out there. Drove on where the point meets up with Hwy 8. The access was all open water but drove down the shore 10 yards and found good ice. Driving was fine but not sure I would attempt it after some of the weather we are expecting this week.

Fished near Pancake Island. Quite a few other cars out there. The fish bit continuously throught out the day. Both sunfish and crappies. Sorted through them and kept enough for a meal.

Hows the access off Hwy.8?Is it good enough to get a 4-wheeler out to pancake?

Thanks,Walligator

Great last trip of the year. Made it out on Saturday morning. Checked the shoreline and decided to walk instead of bring out the 4-wheeler. The fog was super thick. Headed out and drilled through 18" of good ice. Anything that was laid on the ice didn't take long to start melting in. The fish I kept even started melting into the ice. The sunfish action was non stop with a couple crappies every now and then. Some 4-wheelers made it out as the day went on. Coming off the lake, the shore ice was pretty broken up due to the 4-wheelers. A person will need a board to get to the ice from now on. However with the rain that is forcast, I think it's going to be over soon. I think I'll spend Sunday putting away the ice fishing gear and thinking of open water.

I walked to the boat landing this morning.. last nights rain put a hurt on what good ice was left...

There were some guys out on N. Center this afternoon, around noonish. Temp in the vehicle said 68 degrees, I don't know if they had enough ice to get back to shore or not.

I'm thinking about driving back out there tomorrow to see if they're still fishing the point or not..... confused.gifgrin.gif