Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
luckycrank

Shields

6 posts in this topic

HEADED OUT AFTER WORK I WILL REPORT BACK AFTERWARDS

LOTS OF OPEN WATER AT THE EDGES WILL NEED KNEE BOOTS BY SAT.

AFTER A LITTLE BIT OF SEARCHING I WAS ABLE TO FIND SOME NICE GILLS AND A COUPLE CRAPPIES HOWEVER IT WAS SHORT LIVED DUE TO THE MAJOR FRONT THAT HAPPENED WHILE I WAS OUT THE FISH WENT FROM BEING 2-4 OF THE BOTTOM AND SNAPPIN' REAL GOOD TO BOTTOM HUGGIN AND UN-COOPERATIVE WITHEN ABOUT 5 MINUTES.

MOTHER NATURE SURE HAS A WAY OF CHANGING IT UP!ALL IN GOOD FUN THOUGH

Thanks for the report.Sheilds has always been good to me in March...except the last 2 years.A friend that lives on the lake tells me there are so many cormarants on the lake in the summer that he feels they have degraded the fishery.Since I've fished it only during winter,I can only say that I've not done well there the last couple of years.What's your take on the lake?Has my timing just been bad and I've simply chosen poor days to fish Shields or,do you feel it's not what it used to be?confused.gif

luckycrank,

Did you access the lake from the public access on the north end of the lake? That is one thing I have noted during late ice. The north accesses open early and southern access points are a better option longer.

How was the ice once you were on the ice?

accesssed it from kaderliks bay ,use extreme caution by the point as there is rotten ice (whiteish/yellowish chunky stuff below ice) in the middle of the plowed road and is dangerous to walk on watch where your walking and you could be all right confused.gif

i used to fish the lake alot but have been fishing others in the past couple of years, i haved fished it about a half dozen times this year and i half to say its been real poor until last night i caught a couple of toads (9" plus gills)and some decent crappies (9")but it was short lived to to sudden high winds and cold temps but am looking foward to the weekend if i can get on the ice by then not sure if i'll go there or washington? maybe both grin.gif