• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Am coimg up this week end to try for some Tullibees, When looking for a place to fish what should I guy look for. And what kind of fishing set up should I use. My plan is to look for step drop off's to very deep water and take a angle eye jr (witch is a gigging spoon)take the treble hook off and run some line down about 6 inches with a single hook and put a wax worm or a minnow. Dose my plan sound about right. Any advise would be great Thank you!!

Sounds about right, I like using regular Dare Devils in a silver or gold color. I also will supsend the dropper hook anywhere from 12-24 inches below.

My best spots are on inside crooks adjacent to steep breaks, or even some of the deepest spots in the lake will hold fish. They can be very selective on color so I usually have about 6 rods ready, red, gold, green, black, blue, and so on. Another major would be to have electronics and don't be affraid to look right under the ice I have caught them before with my flasher actually in the hole. They are a fun fish to target and the nice thing about this year is that a guy doesn't have to get up so early.

Good Luck

I can tell you that they must be biting....

I have a friend that works some really weird hours and days and while I went to lunch he snuck in and put one in my desk.

They have a distinct smell... The kids should enjoy that the rest of the day....

We used to take a rod and tie on 2 large silver dare devil type lures(no hooks), and jig that thing hard. Gramps was a believer that it would attract the tullies. And I cant disagree. Seemed to work good.

We would then just use crappie types of baits with the waxie on it.

Keep a watchful eye down the hole as daylight starts to show up (if you set up in a house). You can actually see the fish come by in schools literally within feet of the bottom of the ice. Its almost surreal. You think you are seeing things, but then you realize is a massive school of tullies whizzing by.

Cool thanks Guys I was thinking about the Dare devil but wasn't sure about the aticon it would have I think am going to try Star or Chiltaral most likey Star

Grandad -

Good tips by everyone, especially about having lots of color set ups availble. Sometimes they move thru pretty quickly and it would be nice to have a couple of setups at the ready should the fish prove fussy.

PRFisher - Pew!

Okay you guys....what's a Tulibee good for? People don't actually EAT them do they? shocked.gif

Oh man! Excellent smoked! I tend to like the smaller ones, about a pound or so.

Brine them up in a nice brown sugar brine or any other brine you like, and smoke away.

Several years a go I caught a bunch on LOW. I gilled, and gutted them, and then took a grocery sack full into Fergus Locker. They brined and smoked them and charged me 7 bucks.

I had 2 or three at home, gave a couple to my dad when he was in the nursing home, and took the rest to work. They were gone in a heartbeat.

Oh are they tasty. Can a guy get around on the lakes with a 4 wheeler. And am going to head up right after work today and am going to hit Battle tonight can I driver out there or should I 4 wheel it.I would rather drive out seeing I will get there right before sundown. will make setup a little faster.PS and when you mean diffrent colors do you mean difrent color ice fly's or spoons. Thank's

Ice flies.. Like I said in my first post I use gold and silver flashers, always have... Not to say that other colors don't work, but as far as jigs go I like to have a assortment of color. I was out on West Battle Tuesday night and that will be the last time I drive out on the lakes this year. The ruts in the road where about a foot or so and the water was running down the holes everywhere. Plus if you go way out you will have to cross that ice ridge, lets just say that was a little scary.

Well I will be taking the 4 wheeler I didn't like driving over that ridge to begain with.Can I get around on a 4 wheeler then, I do have chains on.

you will have no problem with the 4 wheeler....

Good Luck I'm going scouting for a new tullibee spot tonight to hit in the morning... Drill all of my holes and sneak in on stealth mode at the crack of dawn.

Good Luck

Good eats. MMMMMMMMMMM

Stinky to prep though! grin.gif

When them babies come out of the smoker, good luck keeping it for yourself. My wife even loves it, and thats saying a lot!

Okay. So they ARE edible! Appreciate all the information. I guess that Fergus Locker place must be where the boys cut all those nice steaks for me?

If I can get strongly motivated I might go git me some Tullibees. But there is so much to do.... frown.gif

was out on molly stark last monday and caught six decent keepers.. They mainly bit on the still line with a bobber and waxie.. They would bite the jigging line but they would bite pretty lite.. a little pinkish white little tear drop did the trick.. marked a lot of fish on the vexlar but it was prertty slow.. I also heard they were biting on star pretty good... Good luck!

TB