Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
maspikey

new guy on the site

16 posts in this topic

hi im a newbie to the site, well i have been watching the site fer a few months,and have seen only small amounts of crappie action, but I have done some home work and have seen that if ya want action you are going to have to get off yer butt and go find them. is this the best or do you folks have any hints for this rookie, and is there any perch being caught??? thanks for any help ! we group of 6 are heading to URL this coming weekend.

Move, drill, fish. Move, drill, fish. Move, drill, fish. Every half hour till you find them.

Don't get frustrated if you don't find them during the daylight hours... since the snow it has turned primarily into an evening - night bite again. Not to say it can't chnage back as the snow dwindles this week, but the last 2 weeks I have not heard of any real success on crappies during the day.

Have a great trip and welcome to FM! Let us know how you do...

Good Luck!

Ken

hey thanks for the info !! after a few coktails we may want to sleep in anyway but we hitter hard and will be out early any way. thanks again and good luck to you as well! with the warmer weather i would think w/4 weel drive we can get around decent ?? and will give ya all a report afer the weekend!! thanks again!!

I was up there this weekend. And we caught them all day again. We fished from noon to sunset and we caught one crappie an hour up until sunset. Seven total. Then we went back to the same spot yesterday morning and fished from 8 to 11 and we caught 11. With two being caught right around 11.

jeff from agassi took three groups out and caught over 100 all between 10 am and 4 pm? Its all location.location.location.

All my guys got most of there fish during the day also?Catching them is easy finding them is all the work

Definitely bring extra auger gas and an extension. I start out by auging 30-50 holes in a line or circle. If you have a few guys it'll go quicker. Then have one follow behind with electronics looking for active fish. If nothing shows in the initial run I'll fish each hole for 1-5 minutes to see if any show off the bottom or from the side. If you catch one drill several holes in the immediate area closer together to see if there's a large school nearby. Fish all the holes and drill another set in another direction if you haven't made contact. Nothing there then make a bigger move.

Seems to work pretty well for us each time we're up. Sitting and waiting for the bite gets us in trouble. Happened to us last Saturday the day after we found a major active school Friday afternoon. Next day there were fish there and we caught a couple crappies. Thinking it was a timing issue we waited them out. It never happened there. Sunday found us back there and after only one crappie in an hour we made a major move which paid off after 50-60 holes drilled.

There are always crappies biting. You just have to find the right school. laugh.gif

Btw,

We caught all of ours between 11am - 5 pm this weekend.

I've fished both ways. Sometimes killed 'em waiting the fish out it one spot. And sometimes knocking myself out movin'every so often and not getting squat. That's not the way it usually works though. Play the percentages and move around. That is what's usually most productive.

It can be a real grind though if you've been pounding the ice for 6 hours without positive results.

Cookie somebody stopped by our spot, and was telling us about some guy named cookie that they talked to at a pool tournament or something. That had caught 80 with a guy from agassi. They were driving a white escalade sound familiar?

This was yesterday morning!

picture031ss1.jpg

How many guys were with you Jimmy?

4 guys. 19 Crappies. One guy was only 11 and lost quiet a few at the top of the ice, but he had a good time and thats all that counts.

Yup, good time is all that matters!

Pretty good catching though too sounds like to me--

Yeah I can't complain at all. Last year a group of nine of us got skunked. So I am very gratefull when I just get one. I always say I just want one, and everything after that is considered a bonus!!! cool.gif

i would definitely get up before sunrise and be ready on a spot that you think is gonna produce before the sun peaks out! 5 trips this winter and have always found they've been most active right after sun-up. at least you won't have to get up so early now after the daylight savings time change. good luck cool.gif

Yeah thats what we did sunday. It seem they don't really start to bite untill the sun comes over the tops of the trees. Once that does watch out!!!