Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBMasterAngler

Gull/Whitefish Ice Out

8 posts in this topic

What are my chances of good ice on either of those lakes come march 24? The shoreline ice is what I'm worried about the most.

you will probablly need a boat to get out to the middle.

My family has been keeping record of ice on, and ice out on Gull since around '85 and you can count on it going out from the middle of April to the first part of May.

Beleive it or not, it is within about 2 weeks of itself every year regardless of the weather.

Keep in mind that those dates pertain to complete ice out on the entire lake. When the last chunk is no longer visible.

I would imagine that Whitefish is awful close to the same time.

DaddyDucker knows what he's talking about. I've casually kept track of the ice out date up there as well and it's pretty right on within a few weeks. Sometimes the ice goes fast, other times it's a slow death. March 24 is two weeks away and it really all depends on the weather. Just talk to the folks at S&W or Sportland a few days beforehand and they'll give you the scoop.

If I had to guess I would say chances will be pretty good, there is a ton of snow on the ice which will reflect sun off the ice, and around 30 inches of ice under that. If I remember correctly I beleive I drove out on hubert for the last time the last weekend of march last year. As always it depends on the weather but I bet I will be home fishing that weekend.

You should be in pretty good shape for ice angling at that time. On average the ice goes off Gull around April 20. Some years earlier, some years later. Crappie fishing is usually very good in late March.

Jason Erlandson

I guess it'll depend on the slush and water on top of the ice, that stuff isn't fun to trudge around in.

I've noticed some of the lakes are receeding from shore on the north ends already...you might want to keep a vidgelent eye on this. Should be able to get on the southside though.

Weather should be with us this year.

I'm thinking of the access on gull lake on the eastshore off of 371. That should be protected from the morning sun anyway. I'm hoping the night time lows are gonna keep the shoreline ice in good enough shape to make my last run on saturday. Keep me posted. Is whitefish looking any better?