Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anylakeanytime

Lida and DNR oops!@$#!@

16 posts in this topic

I have an interesting question. I have a trailer on Lida and when I was at the RRV Sportsman show this last weekend, I saw something that I thought was interesting. The MN DNR was there with a booth. As I was passing, I saw Lake Lida on an 8.5" X 11" word document. I read it and it was about the slot on Lida for walleyes and crapppies. the DNR said that, "This information was mistakenly left out of the regulations this year, and we want to be sure to get it out!" Hmmmmmmmmm.... can they really enforce the slot when it is not posted in the official regulations? I will obviously fish within the slot limits because I know, but they cannot possibly enforce the slot on Lida this year can they?

I think it would open up a pretty big defense if an individual was cited for the violation. Dont they have those info signs at all the boat landings informing people of the slot?

I don't recall seeing them (but I may be wrong). I know I was unaware of the slot for about two weeks last year when we first started fishing the lake (but with my attention to detail, I am sure it is posted at the landing).

anylakeanytime,

I think your correct but I'm not the one with the facts. But here is some info I'm not sure everybody knows about. Reflectors on perminent fish houses are encouraged may even be in writting in regs book but can not be enforced. My father-n-law got a ticket the other day for not having his license number on his house, his bad. But the CO went on because my FNL new him and stated that CO's can not ticket or enforce houses without reflectors. Glitch in the law I assume. Go figure!?

mr

I thought there were signs...but to be honest...my attention to detail isnt the best....my family lives on Lida and I only use the boat launch a few times a year...but I thought I remember seeing one. If there was not signs...I bet this mistake might prompt them to put up a few reminders.

Cliffy-- i think I saw signs regarding the slot limits at the park landing...

My 2 cents-- reflectors are for safety reasons...having them is called good common sense, not having them is reckless, think about it. I believe I have read something in the regs, I guess whether they can enforce it is not relevant to me, I hope the next guy cares enough about his property as well as mine to have reflectors!

You'll have no case and will be issued a ticketed the Regulation booklet means nothing.

Quote:

You'll have no case and will be issued a ticketed the Regulation booklet means nothing.

What would make you say someone would not have a case (again I would never keep fish in the slot) but if some legitimate first-timer to the lake kept fish in the slot, why would they not have a case? And I am not trying to start an argument, I was just wondering if you know this would happen based on something you experienced or read somewhere...etc. If it is not posted at the accesses or in the regulations book, I would definitely not say that they wouldn't have a case.

Lida has had a slot on crappies for at least four years if not longer and on wallyeyes for two. I'm about 99% sure it's posted right at the access. I know that it was it the regs I got last year, and would almost swear I remember reading it again this year, but I can't be sure becuase my regs are in my fish house.

If they don't presently have a sign at the access, I'm sure they will put one there due to the mistake of not listing the reg. Most lakes with special regs have them listed at the access, but not all. If they don't give them a call, I'm sure they would put one up.

I was down on lida today..and there are signs.

Thanks for checking it out cliffy....I think I might head to South Lida today and see if I can find a crappie hole.

I think I saw a sign as well -- didn't pay much attention to the sign, however. I had heard about the slot before.

Not the crappie slot.

Any --

Not knowing the law is not an excuse ... So my bro-in-law and many LE friends tells me.

Thanks for the conversation (and for checking out for the signs). I just thought it was interesting little issue that people may have different knowledge and opinions about.