• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I realized this afternoon as I was driving to the lake that it has been awhile since I have posted a report following an outing of my own, besides my weekly website reports. Shame on me but I did have a few bites going over the last few months that just needed to stay silent. Heck, onto today's report...

I headed to Washington today in hopes of being able to walk to some fishable areas without too much effort. Well, it was walkable but it definitely required some effort. If you're looking for some different exercise patterns, the time is now to give manually pulling your gear around the lake a shot. That'll get your heart rate up as will the fishing! With heavy snowfall, comes the challenges of how to handle lack of light penetration, poor water clarity and several other variables that can often work in your favor to catch more fish when light penetration is not an issue. I treated today much like I would as if I was fishing after sun-down. Constantly "glowing up" my presentations, hole-hopping and fishing right under the ice. Home, sweet home for me. After drilling a series of ~30 holes on the top side and inside corner of a steep turn of gravel to mud transition, I began my quest and also found myself on top of fish. The first fish of the day ended up being a trophy! A 10.25" giant 'gill found it's way through my hole and I thought that was a pretty darn cool way to start the day(photo coming soon). After the initial excitement of that and the release, the bite in that particular hole ended and that's how the rest of my outing went. 1 - 3 fish per hole and they would all come very quickly and then vanish. If I hadn't caught a fish in a hole within 5 minutes, something was up and I was on to the next hole. Most of my fish came from 2 - 4' down in 10' of water but I did entice a few off the bottom only to find out they would not bite until they were in that same range of the suspended fish, 2 - 4' down. Coincidence? I think so. These fish are desperate for some light and will do almost anything to find some. In fact, I had a few crappies come right up in the hole chasing my presentation as I rose it up before hitting while I watched. Speaking of hitting, the crappies hit like a Mack truck while the 'gills were a little more tentative. In either case, Ratso's in pink and white or all white tipped with red spikes did the trick. A majority of the crappies were in that typical 9 - 11" range but I did have a few pushing 13" and the 'gills were 7.5" up to that unbelievable bull at 10.25". I kept a handful of 'gills and just a couple crappies for supper and the rest went back in the lake. As for the ice conditions, the ice is solid and in great shape. I didn't measure but I'd say there is at least 18" out there.

Look for this late-ice bite to really explode within the coming weeks. I think I'm going to focus my efforts from here on out on Tetonka unless I catch wind of something else worth checking out. smirk.gif

Good luck and we'll see you on the ice!

TO. Don't mind me asking but were you fishing near the narrows? If you were I was fishing right next to you.

Good job otter smile.gifand thanks for the report.I went to madison on sunday afternoon the DNR access is impassable there was a guy stuck with a full size 4x4 on the access pulled him out.unloaded my snowmobile and helped pull acouple of houses and mine. fish where reluctant to bite.even the perch shocked.gif high barometer and low light.I fished in 10 fow and the other six guys fished in 20 fow and only 1 perch and a few small crappies between everyone.

Looking forward to seeing that picture Jamison! Thats a darn nice gill!

That was me. You should have stuck around. Once I got the pattern dialed in, it was "on".

MJ,

I sent you the photo last night along with requesting you helping me getting it up on here. Did you not get it?

I'll send it again.

I wasn't sure if that was you or not, I would have asked ya to drill me a couple holes. Drilling through that much ice and walking out there really takes it out of you. I will have to get out at the end of the week and give it another shot.

You certainly could have. I know how to drill holes.

TO, just a quick question.... did you graph fish in a hole as soon as you dropped your locater down..or did you have to sit and jig for a minute or two before they came in?? You said you were hole hopping I know...but just curious. Good report by the way.

The fish were fairly reactive to a fresh "glow" on the jig. I would say, on average, a minute of jigging was about all it took to get a few fish underneath me. But, you really had to be on your A-game because in most cases the fish were gone as fast as they came in.

Glad you enjoyed the report. I hope it helps.

I was out today out of westwood and the fish were down there from 9-11ft but they had a bad case of tight lips, you had to really work to get them to bite at all.

Thanks for putting up the photo Matt. I really wish I wouldn't have been alone for this fish because these types of shots don't always do the size its justice. At any rate, she's still in the lake for someone to catch!

Nice gill!

If you don't want to miss a good picture opportunity again because you are alone, I would pick up a mini tripod for your camera. I got one at Target a couple years ago and it works great and it is not very expensive. Just make sure your camera has a timer.

Thanks for the comments. I know about the tripod thing but then I think to myself it's just another thing to haul around. Of course, until something like last Sunday happens. smirk.gif

That 'gill looks round like a dinner plate with a spoon hanging off the side. grin.gif

Nice fish!!

I think that's another way of saying "plump" or "wide". grin.gif

Yes, very R-O-U-N-D!!! grin.gif Just like those big brutes typically are. smile.gif