Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjohnson5150

Brutal Hike Yesterday

6 posts in this topic

We ended up packing the portables and hiking it into our favorite West Metro honey hole yesterday. Let me tell you, it was a brutal hike. According to the GPS, it was only a third of a mile. With that much snow on the lake + towing a good 80 lbs, it was a miracle we made it. Once we got there, we were rewarded with a nice burst of sunnies and a few crappie after dark. If you are not in shape, I would not suggest chugging through this much snow.

How do the dogs on dogsled teams do it? My lungs were burning after 5 minutes!

I was out on a couple lakes today (White Bear being one of them) and took a hike through the snow as well. It was definitely a workout, and I had no luck for my troubles. Oh well, I could think of worse ways to spend a Sunday morning grin.gif.

How thick was the ice where you were? I drove on the lake today, had 21.5 inches of great ice under a foot of snow. Only got stuck once, about 45 seconds of shoveling took care of that. Pulled one guy out using his tow strap.

There looked to be at least 20" where I was, but with it being my first time out on the lake I wasn't comfortable driving out...Plus there weren't any other vehicles out. I only saw 3 other portables out there (I was fishing out in the open, but it was nice with the sun out).

At least 20". My auger was just about burried to the motor head. Including 15" of snow of course.

I walked out saturday night on Odowd and did okay, walked from the parking lot to the pier which felt like 1/2 of a mile each way, thank goodness for the snowmobile tracks, the only I could the sled out there instead of having it plow out there.