Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Goldhunter55

General Waska Report

9 posts in this topic

Im makin a trip to waska this weekend and was just wondering if its worth the trip. Just curious how the panfish bite is going and what early march usually brings to the table in years past.

YA FISHINS GOOD BUT TRAVEL BY VEHICLE IMPOSSIBLE DEEP SNOW. Crappie bites good, nice sized too. Hopefully someone can bust a trail to crappie town soon, seen hunts out plowin yesterday but they were not having much luck just getting stuck frown.gif

your best bet is probably just to walk out, but i was able to make it from hunts access to in front of the dnr wall where you go around the heave before i got really stuck. Eagles point and Torges Point have both been putting out sunfish and crappies even durning the day. Fish 5-10 below ice over 15-17 feet of water for the crappies, dont seem to matter what you give em a crappie minnow or fathead or even a shiner. The sunfish will take a crappie minnow but id bring some waxies. There was a path from hunts to the dnr wall around the heave and then out to crappie town(eagles point) If some body happened to have a good plow truck that would be the best way to get out there, or possibly a path from the glenwwod city beach straight over there, then theres no heaves to deal with. Me I think im just gonna lace up the old boots and tug my way out there by hand. Hope the snow melts a little this week, guys hates to walk out when theres 25 inches of ice. confused.gif

Theres a trail from city beach out to eagles point and then it keeps going to torges point area its deep but do-able if you can stay in the tracks, fished from like 4 - 7pm caught an easy limit of crappies and a few sunfish. Was fishing straight out from the big cliff near the dnr landing.

So, there is a trail/road that goes to the crappies/sunfish spot? Was going to bring the girlfriend there tomorrow to fish. Can't get on the lakes where we live, way to much snow on them.

yup trails very rough with alot of slushy spots under the snow so dont get stuck

So how far is it to walk out from the public access on the NW corner to where they're getting crappies? Are sunfish also biting there? Do you have to go over an ice heave to get there?

fish were all caught no more left, actions slowed down alot. plowed trail rather slushy access not real dry, and 1/4 mile walk but still quite drivable. If you move around youll do alright, but seriously alot of small pannies. seen a truck come on from hunts and around the heave by the dnr wall and out to where we fish snow pack is deteriating making travel much easier. too bad the access is gonna go out soon confused.gif

I was out today caught a lot of fish just not any size to the sunnies. We did keep enough for a meal though. Travel was o.k but i think it will be 4 wheeler time soon