• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lakes with camping on islands

we are looking at camping and fishing for a week this july and ending up in Two harbors for "clean up" at his parents time share at superior shores, poor us smirk.gif

We will hit dumbbell and camp on that island for a couple days, what other lakes up there would have either a : campground (free is preferable), island campsite (ideal) somewhere around the isabella area (60mile radius)

Yes I know that Vermillion is close by, but we will have a 16ft and 14ft boat and I don't like the idea of sitting tight for 6 hours because the 14 footer can't make it. I remember there was a campground at 9 mile lake and another one lake between dumbbell and 9 mile but for the life of me I can't remember the name. Any lake names would be great. Thx

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Fourmile, Toohey, Wilson, Whitefish, Greenwood, McDougall, Dragon, and Clara are a few but theres a ton of lakes up there.

Best trip planner is to look at USGS maps and then research them using Lake Surveys.

Burntside (8-10 thousand acres) has about 4 sights on the lake (free), and usually are available most times that I see them. It's about 6-9 miles from Ely, depending on which access you use, about 39 miles from Isabella on highway 1. During the week would be the best time (Mon-Thursday) to have the greatest chance of assuring one. The lake has walleye, northern, smallmouth, sunnies, and lakers. Also 10 billion smelt per square inch grin.gif Great lake for small mouth.

8-10K acres? does the wind whip it up pretty good? During the week is it full of other boats and water vehicles? My buddy and I are planning to attend the burntside bash next year so seeing it in the summer would be a good thing too.

I will be back as the spring wears on asking more and more questions

Keep the ideas coming.....

P.S. Down Deep, nope dumbbell has an island campsite, and rocks the size of houses

P.P.S We need lakes with boat access not canoe access....Frank, do you have any gps coordinates to go with these lakes? grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

We fished greenwood a couple of years ago, is it still as shallow and skeg rough still?

PBW,

The wind gets a little gusty, but lots of islands keeps it manageable most of the time. You'd be surprised as to how little traffic is on the lake during the week. A few PWC, but the young kids that drive them are far more courtesy to me when I'm fishing than guys my age in runabouts. Lucky for those old farts it's illegal to carry an RPG! mad.gif

Quote:

P.P.S We need lakes with boat access not canoe access....

P.P.P.S Thats how you catch the big ones. With canoes.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Greenwood is still shallow. I actually did have a few GPS spots but went with the GPS when I sold it. Fourmile has a big reef that run along the island you'll need to watch out for. Theres some good breaks off the end of that island, in July thats the first place I start looking. Free camp ground, the end spot has the most privacy.