Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

JustinG

Just got back from Burntside with Great Outdoors. Went out from the Wolf Lake Road and got my truck stuck right away! crazy.gif There are a couple of houses right there and the snow is drifted around where they plowed-consequently there was slush underneath. A real nice guy pulled me out of there! Good thing I had a bunch of logging chain in my truck! From there, headed out from Van Vac- Its alot better going out from there...There isn't really a plowed road out too far, but, it was OK going. I really think if we get much snow soon, its going to be hard going for awhile without a snowmobile. There is alot of ice out there. Jim and I fished off of a reef that he knew in 18-32 FOW. We each saw 2 trout, but neither one of us could get a bite. It is getting really windy out there. Had a great last day of freedom..tomorrow, back to reality.

If we get more than about 4-6" of snow, wheelers are going to be out of the question out there-Hope this helps!

Justin

Catfishunter

took my little saturn car down the vic road last sat., had realy good snow tires. got a nice one at 5.2# and a smaller one to complet the limt. thinking of going back this weekend.

LuckTuta

I was out on the 28th also. You probably seen my truck parked at the Van Vac landing. I used the snowmobile and went West of Waters island, on the reef that runs east from a little island where you enter school section bay. I set up in 35 feet and had about the same luck as you guys did. Although one hit about 10 feet down but didn't get hooked. It was a nice fish. That's about all the action I had, except for seeing acouple on the vex-lar.

JustinG

LuckTuta,

Did you have a white Chevy with an enclosed snowmobile trailer? If you did, I was in the red chevy and I followed you out of there back to town last night.

Weclome to the forum, by the way! Do you live in Ely?

Lucky Tuta

JustinG

Hi, yes that was me. I turned at the light and went towards Babbit. I live in Hoyt Lakes. I use that road as less frost bumps in the winter. I see that my username showed up as LuckTuta and it should be Lucky Tuta. I may have two names on this forum. I have a Lake Superior type boat and the name I had on it was Lucky Tuta, so thats what I used for my handle on here. The covered trailer works well keeps everything clean as I have the snowmobile and sled type fishhouse in there. I went and got new license today and will probably make two or three more trips if the wind goes away.

JustinG

Yeah, I hear ya there about the wind! It doesnt look like the nasty weather is going to blow out of here until Saturday sometime. I just might get out Sunday if the weather cooperates and there is not too much more snow on the lake. Looks like it might start warming up late next week, but we could get another snowstorm-who knows? Its March. Good Luck out there!

Justin

Lucky Tuta

Justin

One question, how do you put a picture with login username etc. Thank you

Steve Foss

Hey Tuta, I see you figured out how to post an avatar. Hope the phone talk helped. grin.gif

Lucky Tuta

Steve, thanks it worked out fine.

JustinG

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, Tuta

I am now a working man again and I haven't been on the computer since last night. Glad to see that Steve could point you in the right direction! I have been on this forum for awhile and I just recently figured out how to get my photo on here! grin.gif

Take Care,

Justin

caseymcq

Has anybody been out on Burntside durring this weather?

Is anybody planning on fishing Burntside tomorrow?

JustinG

Hey Casey,

I was thinking the EXACT same thing you were. I really want to get out there and chase those Lakers around again, but I think truck travel is going to be out for awhile confused.gif Maybe Steve or G. Outdoors know if someone plows a road out to good fishing locales?? I was thinking about going out on Sunday if anyone is interested and we can get out there.

Maybe I will be forced into buying Jim that beer and steak to plow a road!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Later,

Justin

Great Outdoors

Justin

Make that plural, BEERS grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif and the Dodge may do some snow pushing laugh.gif

Catfishunter

i will be there sun. fishing off van vic. i have a black house with big windows. feel free to stop in and chat.

Wanderer

Justin and Great Outdoors,

I chickened out last weekend. We got hammered (with snow) at home and I help out a couple neighbors so I stayed busy. Now I realize I have a Pheasants Forever banquet this Sat. Timing sucks. I think I'm done Troutin' through the ice. frown.gif

I just wanted Justin to know that the chains on my wheeler do really make a difference as long as I have the clearance, but when I got in deeper than that I got stuck BIG! blush.gif

My winch to a telephone pole to a log to the hitch of my friends truck got me out. tongue.gif

I'm getting a snowmobile....someday.....before next season.

OK, I'll ask first: Who's gonna be out around White Iron/Shag for opener in May? I will be there for the first full week of the season. No permit for Basswood. frown.gif

Wanderer

P.S. Panfish in late April?

JustinG

Hey Wanderer:

Yeah, the chains really help! This heavy new show doesn't help matters, but once it settles down, you should be able to get though with that wheeler-no problem!

Pheasants Forever???????? ITS THE LAST WEEKEND!!!!! TO CATCH A TROUT!!!!!! I think you should bail on the banquet! grin.gif Well, you do have Sunday.......

Whit Iron/Shag for opener?? There are way better places to go for a blood bath!!! cool.gif

Take Care,

Justin

Wanderer

I know! I curl my toes to think I'm gonna let it slip away!

Only thing is, this PF banquet is huge (Anoka Co.) and I'm a guest of one my vendors. I accepted a couple months ago when I thought Trout season ran into middle April. Too many interests - not enough year.

My goal is to live in Ely about 10 years from now unless I run across a job offer I can't refuse. Then maybe I'll get to spend the time with the fish that I want to.

Where else in the area should I be thinking about for opener? My learning curve of the area just started and its been pretty flat so far. I just know everyone was banging limits by Noon on opener last year - and I didn't have a boat! mad.gif

JustinG

Ah well, There is always next year to chase those trout! Man, the season comes and goes by so fast...hard to believe another one has come and almost gone. I have one last weekend for trout in MN and one trip in 2 weeks to Ontario. Then, possibly, one crappie weekend and that will be about all for me this year. Can't wait for the end of November to get here! grin.gif

Hmmm... Opener- it can be so hit and miss up here from year to year. It totally depends on ice out and water temperature as to where you will find fish. Some years you pound the Walleyes in one area just to find that it dead the next. Most of the lakes produce well during that time, but you may be searching a few different locations to find them. Also, they may be stacked in very small areas and very spread out over large expanses. My best luck open water fishing up here is in June when the Walleyes start moving onto the reefs.

Unfortunately, I don't get to open water fish at all during the summer due to my job. That is why I love ice fishing!

Take Care,

Justin

Great Outdoors

Wanderer,

It's hard to beat Shagawa for the opening weekend/week, unless some strange weather condition moves in. Many bonafide 1 1/2 to 3 pounders come out of there. In fact, if walleyes are cooperating, Shagawa is as good as any lake in the state during that time! cool.gif

Wanderer

Yeah, Jim, that was what I was picking up on last May. I saw alot of boats out there all day.

I talked to one of the guides at Grand Ely Lodge when we rented a pontoon for the family in July and he told me some stuff to work off.

He kinda grinned when I drug ALL the stuff from my bass boat onto the pontoon. Thats probably my biggest problem with fishing the Ely area ~ I'm a recovering bass tournament addict. If there isn't a decent weedline, then what??

I haven't fished a tournament for a couple years and don't really miss it. I enjoy the PLEASURE of fishing now instead of it being like a job (that costs more than you make).

I hit the walleyes good in Sept. on Shag but that was the only time last year. I found the weed beds hold some nice pike. 5-7 pound average with a couple 10s. I even picked up a 10+ Musky on Shag. I'll learn more.

Justin,

What is your job? I'm not used to hearing guys start up big this time of year for a long summer. Seems early. Curious.

JustinG

Wanderer,

I am the superintendent at the Ely Golf Club. Unfortunately, I am back at work- There is alot to do before the season starts such as sharpening 100's of blades, equipment prep, course accessories to paint, ordering, budget, etc. This winter we had a flood in the clubhouse and sheetrock, carpet, and alot of things in there were destroyed. So, we have been busy sheetrocking, taping, and getting ready to paint everything in there. We will be really busy until November now!

Justin

Wanderer

OOHHH! Now I fully understand!

I manage the maintenance operations of a pretty large Mixed-use Development (residential/retail combined) in da City. We've been calm through Jan/Feb, but things are starting to get summer crazy already. Good luck!

Capt.Blaine

Anyone know how far a person can drive with a 4x4 pickup from Van Vac? Heading up there Saturday for a little bit before the season closes.

JustinG

Great Outdoors says that there is 3 ice roads out from Van Vac in different directions, but I have no idea how far out they go. I'm sure he will chime in.

Later,

Justin

Great Outdoors

Yep, three roads plowed from the Van Vac landing as of last night. I didn't follow them to the end, but they appear to go out about a half mile, maybe more. If there isn't much much snowmobile traffic you may be able to cut off the beaten path and go cruising.