Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hookmaster

Bowstring Info

7 posts in this topic

I will be up to fish Bowstring on Saturday and have a few questions.

1. How's the crappie bite been? Is it dawn and dusk or will they bite during the day if you can find them?

2. Can you get out of both accesses, northeast and northwest or is one better than the other?

3. Are there any ice heaves to pay attention to and where are they?

Thanks and I'll post results when I get back.

I was just out there last weekend with a buddy of mine and some of his friends. They had the best luck in the morning and during the day, but that was before the last storm front come through. After this next wave of snow, you probably won't be able to get around on the lake in a vehicle. You'll have to use a snowmobile, but like I said it depends on how much snow we get in the next couple days. There's a pressure ridge that runs east/west from Muskrat/Grouse Bay to Cow Bay. I'm not sure if there's any spots where a person can get across it safely, it was pretty high where we were fishing.

Brian

How much snow is on the lake? Can you get by with just a 4x4 truck?

ditto on the snow report. how much is up there now? how hard is it getting around on the lakes?

We fished Bowstring on Saturday. About 1 foot of snow, maybe a little more. Debated if we would make it without getting stuck but we got around a lot easier than I thought. My truck is an 04 Silverado Z-71 Crew Cab. We went about 25-35 mph to keep momentum. Only caught some small perch but had fun anyway. We must have looked like a ball of snow bombing across the lake. We went on the NE access and left at the NW access.

Any fish being caught this weekend. Any info would help considering weather or not to head that way.

We fished off the south end near the breaks. Lots of hammerhandles and a few perch. The crappies wern't very cooperative. We did have a good laugh though when some very inebriated dudes tried to take on the pressure ridge. They made it across the first time but when they tried to come back they sank her down to the frame of the old Dodge. About 2 hrs later they were able to winch it out and continue on..

Jar Jar